Driveshaft spacer for '03 Cobra flange

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hi there I'm trying to see if anyone makes a spacer for the Cobra Flange? I need about 0.75" to make up the difference on the tranny side. My slip yoke is sticking out about 1.75 to 2".

From what I can see nobody makes one so my next move is hunt down a used Cobra flange for a machine shop so they can use it as a template to make one out of aluminum. If anyone has one let me know ill buy it.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I JUST had this one made. It was from The Driveshaft Shop for a T56 magnum.

The only changes that were made is I moved my rear wheels back about an inch and raised the front of my car an inch. The rear wheels were moved back with adjustable LCA's. These small changes pushed the driveshaft out that much.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yeah I JUST had this one made. It was from The Driveshaft Shop for a T56 magnum.

The only changes that were made is I moved my rear wheels back about an inch and raised the front of my car an inch. The rear wheels were moved back with adjustable LCA's. These small changes pushed the driveshaft out that much.
You have a sra not irs right

DCguy

Established Member
there was a guy on the 03/04 cobra Faq page on fb that did a run of 60 a year or two ago. if you search for driveshaft spacer on that page it should come up and perhaps you can message him about sending you one.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
there was a guy on the 03/04 cobra Faq page on fb that did a run of 60 a year or two ago. if you search for driveshaft spacer on that page it should come up and perhaps you can message him about sending you one.
Right on we just looked and we see a guy had one made that was 5/8" thick. That's about all we can see though. We couldn't find the run of 60. Unless any miracles happen i might just get another made up. After a close measurement I'm getting almost 2" of slip yoke sticking out of the tranny! I'm getting weird vibrations on decel and i think this is why.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Right on we just looked and we see a guy had one made that was 5/8" thick. That's about all we can see though. We couldn't find the run of 60. Unless any miracles happen i might just get another made up. After a close measurement I'm getting almost 2" of slip yoke sticking out of the tranny! I'm getting weird vibrations on decel and i think this is why.
The vibration issue,,

Sure this isn't pinion angle?

How long is the transmission yoke.

Does output shaft stick out beyond tail?

I'm assuming your ok with it but change on rear should be addressed before changing shaft again,,

Unless the Trans yoke is actually flopping just by hand moving it ,,

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I think the sonnax slip yoke has an engagement of 4.75 inches and i have almost 2 inches sticking out of the trans.

Pinion angle was set at -2 but I'm going to double-check that.

Good call on the rear setup, i was actually going to put my slicks on when i get home and triple-check theyre centered in the wheel-well.

When I was home i remeasured from the seal of the tailshaft on the tranny (right where the sonnax slip yoke enters) to the flat side of the pinion flange on my 8.8" and i was getting 48.75".

Here's a few pics
997506CD-2B01-461F-A96D-EFD6CAE0098C.jpeg
B9F07B3A-7E9C-41E5-A219-C5226067439F.jpeg
04B72EC2-6D84-435E-90C7-6BE00AC2AD40.jpeg

hotcobra03

Established Member
I think the sonnax slip yoke has an engagement of 4.75 inches and i have almost 2 inches sticking out of the trans.

Pinion angle was set at -2 but I'm going to double-check that.

Good call on the rear setup, i was actually going to put my slicks on when i get home and triple-check theyre centered in the wheel-well.

When I was home i remeasured from the seal of the tailshaft on the tranny (right where the sonnax slip yoke enters) to the flat side of the pinion flange on my 8.8" and i was getting 48.75".

Here's a few picsView attachment 1734070View attachment 1734071View attachment 1734072
On 1st pic. Where is other end of tape,,

I was a builder,, something looks wrong,,

I would have asked you to put Trans yoke in all the way ,pull back 1 inch.
Measure center of ujoint to flat on rear pinion ,Than have all parts to build and balance,,

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
The first pic i had the other end of the tape measurer right in the middle of the tailshaft seal on the tranny. That seal is about 1/8" so i just put it right near the edge/center of that rubber seal.

When you say u-joint are you talking about this specific location right here where the u-joint connects to the slip yoke?
4E28D1FF-D389-4A68-8B0A-8F7CC811A1B3.jpeg

hotcobra03

Established Member
The first pic i had the other end of the tape measurer right in the middle of the tailshaft seal on the tranny. That seal is about 1/8" so i just put it right near the edge/center of that rubber seal.

When you say u-joint are you talking about this specific location right here where the u-joint connects to the slip yoke?
View attachment 1734096
The shaft they made for you.
Seal to flange.
48 3/4.
Shaft should be in the area of 44 1/2 center to center.
I can see about 1 1/8 on rear flange. I'm guessing on the Trans yoke ,center of ujoint to where you want seal to ride ..

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
all i know is I'm getting 48.75 measuring like this and my slip yoke is poking out of the tranny about 2". I called Driveshaft Shop today and gave them measurements of 48.75 with this method of measuring:
95266791-F0F0-453A-B25D-B9F3FF73041E.jpeg

hotcobra03

Established Member
all i know is I'm getting 48.75 measuring like this and my slip yoke is poking out of the tranny about 2". I called Driveshaft Shop today and gave them measurements of 48.75 with this method of measuring:
View attachment 1734108
Yes I follow your picture, and what you asked for.
I'm trying to see if what shop sent you is what you asked for,

Was rear moved before or after?

Back to confirming shaft length.

That slipyoke and flange to be make at 48 3/4 from seal to end would make the actual driveshaft 44 1/2 center to center of ujoint. Give or take a 1/4 being not in my hand.

I made mistakes over the years,
Building 20 plus a day it happens .

On this guy may have added the inch play when you already did which would explain why it's to short now .

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ahhh i follow now. U-joint to u-joint i get about 43". After doing math before taking that measurement i came up with a driveshaft about 1.5" SHORT which is exactly what you just verified. Im double checking my uppers and lowers and theyre all in dead square. I just removed my uppers to verify theyre in equal (double adjustables).

Im going to take one more good look tomorrow before i order a new driveshaft.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Out of curiosity what's the knock against a driveshaft spacer anyway? I see Steeda offers them for other smaller pinion flanges for the 8.8

hotcobra03

Established Member
It's kinda like a wheel spacer,,

It may hold it may not. Re tighten

Flange also centers the rear part,,,this spacer has to be made that perfect .not a call for it,,

Look over the past years,,
Rear yoke went from ubolts to straps than now a flange .

When I was doing shafts. I would work with mistakes,
Call the shop,,
They way the measurements were taken were not proper,

They shouldn't have made it,without more information,,

Just my opinion

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
That is for that SMALLER pinion flange. Not the bigger 03/04 Cobra pinion flange. Thank you for looking though

Users who are viewing this thread