driveshaft questions

kk_kalina

Established Member
hey guys im just curious at what point should I start worrying about my driveshaft, I kno its I worth while upgrade just not one I wanna spend the money on now if not necessary, my only mods currently are a 3in catback and a brenspeed 93 race tune, and I plan on my next mod being a 150 wetshot with an aed or bbr tune, is that gonna be to much for the stock driveshaft?

N20D5OH

Established Member
Unless something drastically has changed over the years, the only reason to get an aluminum driveshaft is for less rotating mass.

SCalla1384

Established Member
The stock piece is a 2 piece design. It's pretty weak to be honest. I would really think about getting an aluminum one soon. Especially if it sees sticky tires at all.

A few people have snapped there stock ones

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
a 1 piece driveshaft will also eliminate a lot of noise being transmitted into the cabin. The center carrier bearing of the factory 2 piece is bolted to the underside of the cabin floor in the transmission tunnel.

kk_kalina

Established Member
when at the track im just running stock tires and not really launching hard since i keep hearing the torsion diff is weak for hard launching im mostly doing 20mph rolling launches in mexico of course, so i should be ok in that sense? is it going to cause me problems at highspeeds say 150+? and noise isnt an issue for me im young (22) i can deal with it lol, a aluminum drive shaft is in my mods to get just rather it be later than sooner right now i really want a 150 shot

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
There is a YouTube video out there of some kids driveshaft breaking at 100+ mph. It's pretty damn funny but he probably shit himself. I would NOT want to be in the car when or if the driveshaft snaps.

For the piece of mind and for less rotating mass, I think it's a great mod.

kk_kalina

Established Member
There is a YouTube video out there of some kids driveshaft breaking at 100+ mph. It's pretty damn funny but he probably shit himself. I would NOT want to be in the car when or if the driveshaft snaps.

For the piece of mind and for less rotating mass, I think it's a great mod.

though its possible that was probaly some sort of defect or bad installation, i like to think that ford sets the car at what they consider safe limitations for the car so if the factory speed limiter is set at 150 id like to think that everything on the car is safely capable of atleast 150mph

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

I think your mixed up? The factory DS is much quieter then any aftermarket shaft on the market. With all its rubber fixed points its a know brainer.
The only advantage the 1 piece has over the factory DS is that its much stronger and much lighter.

a 1 piece driveshaft will also eliminate a lot of noise being transmitted into the cabin. The center carrier bearing of the factory 2 piece is bolted to the underside of the cabin floor in the transmission tunnel.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I think your mixed up? The factory DS is much quieter then any aftermarket shaft on the market. With all its rubber fixed points its a know brainer.
The only advantage the 1 piece has over the factory DS is that its much stronger and much lighter.

Sure about that? I've owned 3 S197 cars. Every one of them were considerably quieter inside after changing to a 1 piece. No more "clunks" could be heard inside from the drivetrain.

The center carrier bearing, despite rubber isolation, still transmits noise.

bmyles

Established Member

I agree, my dynotech is louder than stock. There's no comparison between the to when there side by side which one you would want on your car ;) . I done it mostly to get rid of most of the drivetrain slop and there's a fair bit in the stocker
u3a2ubaq.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread