Driveshaft help!

thunderhorse21

Established Member
My driveshaft is totally off balance.. at 80mph there is a noticeable vibration, and once it's at 100mph the vibration becomes pretty violent. I know some company makes weights to offset the unbalanced driveshaft, but I was wondering if any company makes a CF driveshaft for our cars? If not, is there an aluminum driveshaft that anyone can recommend which would be balanced properly? Thanks in advance!

fastback brian

Established Member
when it comes to drive shafts there can be two things that cause a vibration, could be out of balance but for production parts I would check runout first. you could have the straightest most perfect balanced shaft ever but if it mounts to the pinion flange that has .020 runout it will vibrate..

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
To answer your question they do make cf drive shafts I think they cost around 800 dollars I am not sure who sells them do a search for it there are threads with opinions and links.

hotcobra03

Established Member
shaft

My driveshaft is totally off balance.. at 80mph there is a noticeable vibration, and once it's at 100mph the vibration becomes pretty violent. I know some company makes weights to offset the unbalanced driveshaft, but I was wondering if any company makes a CF driveshaft for our cars? If not, is there an aluminum driveshaft that anyone can recommend which would be balanced properly? Thanks in advance!

our car comes with an aluminum shaft...a very good one...

before you do anything..was work done on car or did viberation just start?

2nd a driveshaft viberation will start at a lower speed,most of the time..

tires are number 1 for highspeed viberations,,2nd is someone worked on car and made a change,,,

an angle viberation will happen at highspeed as would a twisted slipyoke or a rear pinion flange ....

loose bolts are common to...

hotcobra03

Established Member
shaft

to play around...most would use a hose clamp to use as weight or hold a weight on shaft for trial and error for a balance problem....you can also do this if you wanted to know what an out of balance shaft would really feel like....goodluck

RoyWoods

Established Member

Precision Shaft Technologies, Carbon Fiber Driveshafts and Racing Shafts

They make both CF and aluminum. I went with the CF and love it. Granted, they are expensive, but worth every penny, IMHO. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread