driver side head!

Wade_Racer

Established Member
I was changing my alternator yesterday and noticed my drivers side head was the baby blue color and passenger side was not does this mean most likely the driver side head has been replaced? I bought the car with 35k miles on it and it now only has 39k but any opinions would be appriciated!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
simple way to check is how many threads does the head have? the blue line is supposed to indicate the upgraded head with the cooling revision and increased threads.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
the blue line is supposed to indicate the upgraded head

Not true.

You have to check the casting number on the head. If it is 2C5Z-6049-BAB, then you have the revised head. Otherwise, the blue stripe means nothing.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
simple way to check is how many threads does the head have? the blue line is supposed to indicate the upgraded head with the cooling revision and increased threads.

I know that 03 10ths have the increased thread but didnt think they were the revised head. Maybe the threads have nothing to do with it being the updated heads..? Ive heard to many back and forth on this to really know. I guess checking the casting number would be the best bet.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I know that 03 10ths have the increased thread but didnt think they were the revised head. Maybe the threads have nothing to do with it being the updated heads..? Ive heard to many back and forth on this to really know. I guess checking the casting number would be the best bet.

I think it has more to do with production date (yours is at the end of the '03 run) rather than being a 10th model.

The first TSB for the head tick, which led to a revised head, applied to models built before 11/02:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/03-11-04.pdf

There is another TSB that came out later and applied to all DOHC motors. In this case, the tick coincided with misfire codes and rough running:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/06-05-13.pdf

The bottom line: if you want to see if you have a revised head(s) - check the casting number (see the 2nd TSB above)!!

Users who are viewing this thread