drive your Corvette in snow / ice?

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
who does this?

edit: (and is that a Mustang crashed up in there too?)

Slow recovery from weekend ice storm stretches on

vette_zpsd2c42ce0.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
Why not? :shrug: It's not much different than driving a Mustang, Camaro, or insert other RWD two door car here.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I have never driven in snow but i can't imagine it being much different than driving in the rain with bald Et streets which I have have done for a long time. If you are careful I don't see why not.

Erick

Established Member
It doesn't look like it matters what was driven in that crash. I drove a '95 GT for three winters in MI and a C4 for a winter because I was only 18 and it was my DD. They both sucked equally in the snow but you get by and make do.

Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
If equipped with a proper winter tire its really no big deal as long as you are soft with the gas pedal. Ground clearance become an issue with deep snow though.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
having driven a number of RWD cars in the snow, i would opt to stay home if my only ride was a modestly powered RWD car.

growing up we always had a beater 4x4 for snow.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Yea, clearly being a RWD coupe is the reason he wrecked....

I own a daily so I don't drive my mustang for fuel/wear & tear but the car has been in the snow, rain, you name it.....it's a car at the end of the car, a rather common one at that. It's not like this guy was out in the snow in his F40.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Well a couple weeks ago

This
IMAG0123_zps5nhqgrgc.jpg

Answers
IMAG0126_zpsr5qmphzw.jpg

Your question
IMAG0128_zpswowibqvw.jpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
All it would take is ice like we get here in Arkansas. It doesn't matter what you drive, you're not going anywhere. I got stuck in my 03 Cobra at work once because of a quick ice storm. Put the car in reverse, left my foot off the gas completely, and slowly let the clutch out. Wheelspin. I couldn't even back out of the parking space, let alone try to drive up the hill out of the lot itself.

germeezy1

Established Member
There used to be a time when all cars were RWD, and it snowed back then. I have driven my old Corvette in the snow on a summer tire because it snowed while I was at work.

ctgreddy

Established Member
why not drive them in the winter? It's majority fiberglass and aluminum, not much steel on the car so not much can rust on it. Since the trans is in the rear also it gives a little more weight back there. With some snow tires I'm sure they'd do just fine unless there was too much snow since the ground clearance would be the big issue.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I bet the driver of the propane transport needs new shorts. Nothing like 10,000 gallons of liquid propane slushing around behind you lol.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
With good snow tires, my RWD Lincoln LS does better in snow than any vehicle I've ever been in.

If you think RWD=No Snow, you're an idiot. It's all in the tires, and given an equal tire, I'll take an oversteering rwd car over an understeering fwd pos any day..

Stripped302

Established Member
^^totally agree, my grand marquis with a ls and good snow tires was a beast and always controllable. I felt more confident in that than I do with my f150 now.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
clearly we all understand shit happens and you gota drive what you gota drive. not much anyone in any vehicle can do in a big pileup either... i blame the hippies.

if given a choice a Vette, Mustang, etc isn't the most efficient vehicle for the task at hand. i couldn't imagine throwing a set of M/S tires on the Cobra, doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

i guess i'm a little more risk averse when it comes to snow travel.

interestingly one of the worst vehicles i've ever owned and driven in the snow / ice was my second '91 YJ... detroit lockers in both axles can make for an interesting afternoon in the city.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I always used to drive my foodies in the snow. Wouldn't ever do that to any of my vettes though. The winters here **** up the cars.

Users who are viewing this thread