drive belt dillemma

SC Cobra

Established Member
i've got a 95 cobra thats supercharged, almost all the drive belts that i got would not fit , not the even the same size belt that i got in the car right now.mj: one thing that i did notice was that the pulley thats on the waterpump looks to be an underdriven pulley, i was wondering if i get a factory sized waterpump pulley, will there be any clearance problems between that and the pulley thats on the crankshaft?:-?

sounds confusing, huh?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Did you get a 10 rib belt or an 8 rib belt for a 6 rib setup? Meaning is the belt wider than the pullies it is supposed to riding in?

SC Cobra

Established Member
nope, i got the right belt. the drive belt is 6 ribbed and all the other pullies are 6 ribbed as well, and the supercharger pulley and belt is 8 ribbed.

cobrassc

What s/c combination are you using? Is it that the belt is too short/long or that the pullies are not in proper alignment? Are you still using the stock Cobra pullies (crank/water pump) or GT pullies?

SC Cobra

Established Member
its a vortech s-trim, all the pullies are aligned, it looks like the water pump pulley is a bit smaller, but i guess the reason is because the pulley that is on the crankshaft looks a little bigger, the part where the supercharger belt goes on.

cobrassc

If it's just the standard S-trim kit then Vortech should know/sell the proper belt for your application as long as you haven't changed/deleted any of the pullies. Wish I could be of more help, but my setup uses a Procharger. Good luck.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by SC Cobra
nope, i got the right belt. the drive belt is 6 ribbed and all the other pullies are 6 ribbed as well, and the supercharger pulley and belt is 8 ribbed.
So you're telling me you have two different belts on your car? One 6 rib and one 8 rib? :dw:

SC Cobra

Established Member
yea, one belt is for the waterpump, alternater, power steering pump, etc. the other is for the supercharger, the pulley thats on the crankshaft looks like 2 pullies welded together.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
b That can't be right. I'm going to check with Vortech on that. Most cars use a uni belt design nowadays, and Vortech sticks to that usually. I just can't see having two belts and one not being a cogged or gilmer belt.

SC Cobra

Established Member
no need to worry about it now, i finally got the belt to go on, but thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread