Drilling front hubs for different for a larger knurl diameter ?

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Here's my predicament. I have a 2014 5.0 and recently installed an aftermarket set of wheels. I like the look/offset of the rears but the fronts needed to come out a tad more to achieve the stance I'm looking for.

Long story short. I had a set of 10mm hub-centric spacers made and ordered a set of et lug nuts as well to regain 6-8mm of thread from which the new spacers would take away.

Went to install the spacers and et lug nuts today but quickly found out that the et lugs are a little too wide in diameter to fit through the wheel stud holes. I did temporarily mount the wheel with my current lug nuts, and the offset is exactly where I want it to be.

At this point I can't run the 10mm spacers because I don't trust only having 4-5 turns with my normal current lug nuts. I looked in to the ARP extended lugs but I really don't want to spend $125 on a set of extended studs. On top of that they are a full inch longer than stock studs, which I believe would bottom out my current lugs.

So I started researching other studs that had the stock front 0.549 knurl. Couldn't find anything in the correct knurl that was in between 2.3"-3.3" in length. Closest thing I have found that may work is:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-stu...2004/p/HW2456/

From my research, it is possible to drill/ream out the front hub stud holes just enough to accept the larger 0.594 knurl. IMHO a 0.045" knurl difference is pretty minimal and wouldn't bother or worry me. Would just like to know if anyone on here has done something like this before or knows if there would be any negative effects that I'm not aware of.

If I can in fact use the studs in the above posted link. It would save me over $100 on ARP studs and another $10-15 on open ended lugs.

Opinions/Suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

-Nick

WIPLASH1

Established Member
Here's my predicament. I have a 2014 5.0 and recently installed an aftermarket set of wheels. I like the look/offset of the rears but the fronts needed to come out a tad more to achieve the stance I'm looking for.

Long story short. I had a set of 10mm hub-centric spacers made and ordered a set of et lug nuts as well to regain 6-8mm of thread from which the new spacers would take away.

Went to install the spacers and et lug nuts today but quickly found out that the et lugs are a little too wide in diameter to fit through the wheel stud holes. I did temporarily mount the wheel with my current lug nuts, and the offset is exactly where I want it to be.

At this point I can't run the 10mm spacers because I don't trust only having 4-5 turns with my normal current lug nuts. I looked in to the ARP extended lugs but I really don't want to spend $125 on a set of extended studs. On top of that they are a full inch longer than stock studs, which I believe would bottom out my current lugs.

So I started researching other studs that had the stock front 0.549 knurl. Couldn't find anything in the correct knurl that was in between 2.3"-3.3" in length. Closest thing I have found that may work is:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-stu...2004/p/HW2456/

From my research, it is possible to drill/ream out the front hub stud holes just enough to accept the larger 0.594 knurl. IMHO a 0.045" knurl difference is pretty minimal and wouldn't bother or worry me. Would just like to know if anyone on here has done something like this before or knows if there would be any negative effects that I'm not aware of.

If I can in fact use the studs in the above posted link. It would save me over $100 on ARP studs and another $10-15 on open ended lugs.

Opinions/Suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

-Nick
It was a while ago but I was in the same predicament. I ended up drilling the holes, and I used the bit that was recommended with the studs. More than likely it'll be an odd-size like 37/64 or something, so be prepared for finding that.

That was 10yrs ago, never had an issue with the setup.

Edit, and I ended up cutting about 3/8" off the end and grinding them to be tapered and smooth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread