Drifting in a 2003 Cobra w/ IRS

RedfireVNM

Ahnald, GET TO THE CHOPPA
Established Member
Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience in drifting with a 2003 Cobra?...My girlfriend and two buddys might take a drifting class @ a track in Feb. and I just wanted to know good the cobras do with the IRS...and if anyone is interested in going heres the link...

http://www.driftday.com/private_less.htm :beer::beer::beer:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
let us know how it goes, most are going to say drifting is gay and all this crap but I see it as taking a good bit of skill to control a car like that

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
let us know how it goes, most are going to say drifting is gay and all this crap but I see it as taking a good bit of skill to control a car like that

29136_t.jpg

jr.jpg

IMG_5802.JPG

FTW, imo :pepper:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
IMO drifting is neat to watch, like the car shows they do at amusement parks but it is no form of racing. Its like comparing figure skating to speed skating. One is judged on style and looks while the other is based on who is the fastest yet both take a lot of skill to perform at the top levels.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
i would love to drift. doesn't have to by my car, if possible lol, but i would love to try it sometime

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience in drifting with a 2003 Cobra?...My girlfriend and two buddys might take a drifting class @ a track in Feb. and I just wanted to know good the cobras do with the IRS...and if anyone is interested in going heres the link...

http://www.driftday.com/private_less.htm :beer::beer::beer:

are they gonna be renting cars? or are they taking their own?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You should be fine if you have mods to control wheelhop. I think a set of crappy tires with no grip would be a good starting mod, but you better have all kinds of bushings in your IRS to stop the bouncing since there is so much transition from spinning to gripping back to spinning.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
You should be fine if you have mods to control wheelhop. I think a set of crappy tires with no grip would be a good starting mod, but you better have all kinds of bushings in your IRS to stop the bouncing since there is so much transition from spinning to gripping back to spinning.

Agreed, also with the tires just try to find a harder set, and get them a little small for the rim so they are stretched.

SVTContique

Drifting is hard on axle seals as well.

I think its so fun, nothing is more fun than ripping around a corner with the ass hanging out and smoke pouring off the back end.

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
Everybody most vehicles in the drift world are IRS. I took a drift course a year ago in my 96 cobra and a few months ago did it with an 03 cobra with minor upgrades. I only had wheel hop once but thats because I messed up on the departure. You can do it. It felt easier with a IRS because left and right move with the road especially when track is a little bumpy. Solid is great also and less bull to work with. You'll get a better feel with IRS.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't ever take my cobra drifting. If I wanted to drift, I would get a cheap 240sx (S13), put a sr20 turbo engine in it, and drift that. Or you can buy one for about 8K that are pretty nice and already done. Unless you have a solid axel, I would think it would be too much on the half shaft.

Drifting was really popular when I was in Japan and some of my buddies did it. It was pretty cool but it did put a lot of stress on the car. Would be cool to get into, but don't use your cobra.

Misfitflesh

Established Member
Haha nice, I didnt realize you guys were friends. Thats cool maybe ill sign up for it sometime soon also. I actually had a 240 that was ready for drift but never really got into it. Now that i had the cobra I wanted to see if she can handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread