Dreaded transmission grinding in 1 and seconded

dangle

Established Member
While driving the other day I noticed it was difficult to get it out of first gear. Then when I did get it out of first gear and put it in the second and I heard/ felt the grinding. Drove it around one more day and it continued with the issues... dropped it off at the dealership this morning. Any recommendations or thoughts whenever they come back with the repairs that the synchros are going out?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I think there's a TSB for your year car. All the rest of us just have to deal with it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I think there's a TSB for your year car. All the rest of us just have to deal with it.

Unless his car has some type of extended warranty could be a very costly repair. If it needs a trans and clutch, OP, I would not go back with factory offerings. Magnum TR6060XL and RXT clutch.

nxhappy

Established Member
TSB was for the clutch. I believe they swap it out with the 2012 clutch.

sweetlou1182

Established Member
This happened in my 05 GT a few years ago. I had 4.10s so I pushed it off and just drove around launching from 2nd. When you do it beef the syncs up for all the gears. Might as well seeing your already paying for the labor.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
This is definitely the plague of the GT500. I am curious what is meant by "beef up the synchs"? Are there aftermarket synchros that are better than the stock rings?

So, my tranny has always shifted like sh*t. The MGW Gen II helped a lot, it does not grind, but it is still VERY clunky/crunchy. My clutch seems to hold just fine. Is there a way to determine if it is clutch vs. synchro problem? I would be pissed to drop the $ into a clutch and have the same result.

THANKS!

nxhappy

Established Member
the newer GT500s have the "grind" issue. Which is the synchros. some have switched to amsoil fluid which has improved the shifting. The older 07-08 models had the clutch TSB.

dangle

Established Member
Just a little update. Took the car into the dealer in around 8/3/2015. Turns out its around $2900 for repairs and labor. The car has been sitting at the dealership with transmission out because parts are on back order until 9/27/15. The service adviser hopes they fulfill the order on that date and is concerned they make extend the back order date. I have escalated the issue and am just waiting to hear back anything.

Sirraf

Established Member
Just a little update. Took the car into the dealer in around 8/3/2015. Turns out its around $2900 for repairs and labor. The car has been sitting at the dealership with transmission out because parts are on back order until 9/27/15. The service adviser hopes they fulfill the order on that date and is concerned they make extend the back order date. I have escalated the issue and am just waiting to hear back anything.

Lol, please tell me you do not have to pay for that...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Lol, please tell me you do not have to pay for that...

His car being an 07 is out of any factory warranty. If I had to come out of pocket, I would upgrade to the Magnum TR6060 with the shifter mounted to the transmission. Only true way to get a great shifting trans.

fauls gt500

Established Member
Recently had transmission issue reverse lock out decided to put Freddy brown built 4r70w 3300 stall with trans brake very very easy swap ford dealership did swap for me got tired of replacing clutches and figured at power level most of us have would be continued problem . Car is actually fun to drive still need to shift and much faster from dig and with 373 gears at 80 mph only 2200 rpm thank you fb performance i love it and the service is second to none helps on the phone thru out the install which only took one day well worth it one time fix oh car has no drive Tran noise much more quiet

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
when my clutch went out i swapped to the mcleod and couldnt be happier. its great.

i never experienced any grinding though.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
when my clutch went out i swapped to the mcleod and couldnt be happier. its great.

i never experienced any grinding though.

The 07-09 seem to be much less prone to the grind no shift. I beat the hell out of my 09 with 0 issues of the car not making the shift into 2nd. Sometimes I lacked the ability.

brandonflood123

Established Member
hoping im not going to end up with a repair bill that cost that much. i have a 2010 and it has the 1-2 grind, actually was racing and now it cannot go from 1st to 2nd above 3k rpms without grinding. i have bought the RXT and the MGW gen 2 and hopefully just have to pay for syncros and labor.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So far it sounds like synchros, although if the trans is getting torn apart new bearings where appropriate might be a good idea.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
The real bummer here is that Ford denies this even exists. I pointed to this forum, and others, and my local dealer still claims that the 1-2 grind is fiction. MWG II fixed it, but I am still pissed. That's why I just bought a new Kia for my DD instead of a Ford.

Regulars520

Established Member
The 07-09 seem to be much less prone to the grind no shift. I beat the hell out of my 09 with 0 issues of the car not making the shift into 2nd. Sometimes I lacked the ability.

I just bought a 07 and it has the MGW shifter and it has the dreaded 1-2 grind. So bad that if you are over 2500 rpm it will not go into 2nd, it will grind. I am going to try and drop the fluid out of it and go with some royal purple or amsoil and see if it helps. Ford should be ashamed for letting this problem go on for so long. This isn't a run of the mill car its a Shelby and should have more quality control in place and at least more help with these issues. If they supplied the parts to fix this issue I would be more than happy to pay for the labor. Ill have to research the TSB you guys are referring to.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I just bought a 07 and it has the MGW shifter and it has the dreaded 1-2 grind. So bad that if you are over 2500 rpm it will not go into 2nd, it will grind. I am going to try and drop the fluid out of it and go with some royal purple or amsoil and see if it helps. Ford should be ashamed for letting this problem go on for so long. This isn't a run of the mill car its a Shelby and should have more quality control in place and at least more help with these issues. If they supplied the parts to fix this issue I would be more than happy to pay for the labor. Ill have to research the TSB you guys are referring to.

Call Ford customer care and complain about it. They might be able to do something if you ask nicely

Users who are viewing this thread