Dreaded Rattle-Time to build, but what direction?

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
I took my 96 Cobra out two weeks ago for the first time in a year and the next day it was making the rattle so many get. It starts to rattle once it warms up. Its sounds like it's in the block. Its getting worse.Anyhow, it looks like its going to be at least $1000 fix( tensioners maybe, I think spun rod bearing or piston/wrist pin based on the research I have done)

I will have someone come over and diagnose it so I can decide to sell or fix. Here is my question. I love reliability. In terms priorities of buying a new motor or rebuilding here they are in order;

1) Reliable-I do not enjoy wrenching, all are other cars are Toyota's for a reason
2) My budget including labour is 8K
3) Power- Minimum 425 crank or 365 to tire. It would be nice to have a combo that has more potential, I am NOT against forced induction.

Overall the car has been built to surprise folks in the 1/8 mile and more importantly road racing/autocrossing or carving up the mountains. I love the Griggs Cobra.

Opinions fuelled by experience and research are welcomed.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
If it's just the timing chain/tensioners you can fix it for under 500 if you do the work yourself. It's not hard just time consuming.

If you put a vortech on it you can easily hit those numbers safely and it will be very reliable

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

nomoretickets

Established Member
Is it rattling or is it knocking? because those are two significantly different sounds with significantly different causes.

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
More of a rattle, its kind of like the tick people talk about but more intense/louder. You can not hear it near as much when you rev the motor( that could be a function of the loudness of the engine). Its a little down on performance but not horrible. It is getting louder and sounds worse as I run it.

It sounds a lot like this

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Hard to tell. Easiest way to figure out if is the timing chain is pulling both valve covers.

If either of the chains have slack then that's the issue. Mine sort of sounded like that before i did the chains but not as loud.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
bro, could be a million different things ....you need to run a compression test and leak down ...

Users who are viewing this thread