drained my coolant, rough idle..

98ABcobra

Established Member
ok, i drained my coolant and filled it back up as per the procedure in an effort to get any air bubbles out of the system. i followed the procedure, started the car up and it ran fine. raised up to about 170deg. then it got an idle like it was a big old pushrod motor with a cam in it. anyone else had this happen? is it normal? i shut the car off to let it cool and now im going to check to see if i have to add coolant. has anyone not had to add coolant?

98ABcobra

Established Member
i didn't burp it to begin with. i drained the entire system and filled it back up through the crossover tube. unless thats considered burping it.

SVTContique

What ive read its just undoing the screw at the crossover tube then putting in coolant in theres until it comes out the crossover tube. After that it should be good to go.

Im wondering if that will work on my car, i've got the LDC head cooling mod so i want to make sure there is some decent amount of coolant in there.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
You don't need to drain the entire system to get the air out. I hope you didn't throw the coolant away, and replace it just to get the air out.

Top it off, and then burp it There are tons of posts on that.

Good luck.

98ABcobra

Established Member
i drained it an resued it. only was in there for a week or so. when i took the car out, it ran fine, then jumped up to about 230 again. i threw the heat on full blast and it quickly lowered back down and has been steady ever since.

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
For all you guys having problems burping coolant systems I really suggest purchasing a vacuum filler.. It draws a vacuum on the system, then uses the vacuum to the fill it, without any air bubbles. Fast and easy way to fill with no worries

Users who are viewing this thread