Drain, Flush, Fill Intercooler?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
What's the best way to drain/flush and fill it? And I assume you use the same coolant/distilled water combo for the Intercooler as you do the Engine Cooling system?

I have the Moroso intercooler tank which is easy enough to drain, but what about the rest of the system? Does the stock Heat exchanger have a drain **** or do you have to pull a hose?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
On my 2008 I first of all added a drain petcock in-line at the lower H/E hose after taking the lower hose off of the H/E......

003.jpg

010.jpg

^^^^That is for future H/E drains.........Then at the S/C reservoir I removed the I/C hose completely and capped the nipple on the reservoir. I then installed a "L" shaped hose of the correct size on the I/C nipple and pointed it downward into a Ziploc freezer bag. I then filled the I/C reservoir completely with distilled water and used a shop-vac to blow into the fill hole where the cap screws on. <<<This process pushed all old fluid completely through the H/E, all hoses, through the I/C and when I saw fresh clean water in the Ziploc I knew all old/contaminated fluid was out of the S/C cooling system. Then I used that same shop vac to blow all water out leaving the system completely flushed and empty.

Then I filled the reservoir with the mix I use in my S/C cooling system and used the shop vac blower again to blow the fluid completely through the system, I would stop blowing when the reservoir was getting low and refill it so that no air was getting into the system. Once I saw a steady stream of new/clean fluid flowing into the Ziploc bag, I knew the system was filled. At that point I pulled off the "L" shaped hose on the I/C nipple and the cap on the reservoir and reinstalled the oem pre-curved hose on the I/C and reservoir. I have driven the car for many miles since that time and there was no issues with air in the system.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
^^^ Thank you for the detailed instructions.

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention, when I have that large freezer Ziploc below the L-shaped hose, I have towels around it to protect it from getting cut by the fan blade or a hose clamp or anything else that is in the area between the fan shroud and the I/C nipple. There is a lot going on in that area and a Ziploc bag could easily get cut and then a real mess is created. I also have to empty the Ziploc multiple times during this flushing process.

R

Users who are viewing this thread