Dragstrip pointers

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
I will be taking the GT500 to a track rental at Norwalk Raceway Park on Sept 30th.
While I have drag raced before, I have not raced with this car yet.

I am looking for some pointers on launch RPM, shift points, and rear tire psi (Nt05R 315/35/20), and anything else to accelerate my learning curve. Thx

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Off topic but maybe you can help me. How are your tires traction wise? Ever been caught in rain? I've been debating between those and 555r in a 305.

I currently run the 305 555R on the street now and IMO its a great street tire. I have only drove the car in the rain once so cant really help you there. I got the NT05R primarily for the strip after hearing poor reviews of the 555R at the strip

I havent mounted the NT05R yet, I am waiting on a set of wheels widened to 11" by Weldcraft which should be here tomorrow. So I have no experience with the NT05R yet. I will say that the NT05R are very soft and I cant see them lasting long on the street

2kmelat

Established Member
where is your rev limiter set at (that is a nice track i wanted to make it over there this year but never did)

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I currently run the 305 555R on the street now and IMO its a great street tire. I have only drove the car in the rain once so cant really help you there. I got the NT05R primarily for the strip after hearing poor reviews of the 555R at the strip

I havent mounted the NT05R yet, I am waiting on a set of wheels widened to 11" by Weldcraft which should be here tomorrow. So I have no experience with the NT05R yet. I will say that the NT05R are very soft and I cant see them lasting long on the street

Thanks for the input. With the 555r do you get traction or just spin on the street when you get on it?

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
where is your rev limiter set at (that is a nice track i wanted to make it over there this year but never did)

Not sure about rev limiter but my shift light is at 6200. Its a Lund tune so not sure where he sets it. Jon recommended shifting between 6200-6500
Norwalk is a very nice track and me and 11 other cars will have it to ourselves for 8hrs! :pepper:

Last edited:

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
I will be taking the GT500 to a track rental at Norwalk Raceway Park on Sept 30th.
While I have drag raced before, I have not raced with this car yet.

I am looking for some pointers on launch RPM, shift points, and rear tire psi (Nt05R 315/35/20), and anything else to accelerate my learning curve. Thx

With your RWHP/RWTQ.....it will depend on your how good your suspension and tires work together. Drag radials are a must at a minimum.

I have found with my car.....approx 3500rpm, medium burnout, 13-17 tire pressure, shift just before rev limiting. Of course it all depends on the temps that day also.

I am still trying to get it right, and I have not pushed the rpm limit yet either...still have limiter set at 6250.

My current best launch time is 1.62, usually average between 1.65 and 1.7 if track prep is good. I would say about 30% of the time I smoke the tires, and a couple of times I scared the crap out of myself getting sideways in second gear!

Good luck.....this car is a bugger to launch!

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Thanks for the input. With the 555r do you get traction or just spin on the street when you get on it?
I get decent traction. The car will spin at will still but the 555r are worlds better than the factory Goodyears and the BFG KDWs that I had on it before. I really like the way the 555R look on the car as well.
th_IMG_1958.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
just get a good burn out an lanuch starting at 3k an work your way up untill the tires wont hold no more

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
If you have time before your track day a msd 2 step will make launching a lot more fun. Set your launch rpm, stage your car, depress the clutch, floor it, and pop the clutch on that last yellow. You will save more ware and tear on your clutch in one track day than you will spend on the 2 step. This was one of the first things I installed on my 07 and I have over 200 10sec. passes on my original clutch.

JustinB

Established Member
If you have time before your track day a msd 2 step will make launching a lot more fun. Set your launch rpm, stage your car, depress the clutch, floor it, and pop the clutch on that last yellow. You will save more ware and tear on your clutch in one track day than you will spend on the 2 step. This was one of the first things I installed on my 07 and I have over 200 10sec. passes on my original clutch.

do you know if there is a kit recommended for the 2009 GT500? I didn't see one listed.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
I ordered mine out of the summit catalog part # msd-8734 designed for 1999 and up ford coil on plug systems, as far as I know no diff. in 07 to present ignition systems

Users who are viewing this thread