Drag wheels.tires and ABS kicking in

kevinp

Established Member
First time I tried some drag wheels and tires on one of these, fronts are the usual 17x4 with 185/55 M&H radials, rears are 17x9.5 with 295/45/17s.

Front tires are pretty short, 26" or so, rears are spec'd at 27.2 but they are closer to 27 or so, about a 1" difference. Anything above 90mph if I hit the brakes (doesnt have to be hard) the ABS, or the TCS maybe, kicks in and it makes it pretty hard to stop. I'm assuming the difference in the tire diameter is confusing the ABS.

My '11 never had a problem with the 265/40/18 DRs on the rear, they were quite a bit shorter than the stock fronts, maybe the other way around is worse.

Anyone ever have thins happen? I thought I read something a while ago but couldnt find it in a search. Since they are track only wheels its not a big deal but I dont want anything weird to happen at 130mph at the track with the brakes. I really dont want to experiment on the street with it at that speed.

It doesnt do it every time. seems to go away if I turn the advance track off but since its pretty random I cant be sure.

I could change around the tire diameter ion the tune or just pull the ABS fuse I guess, just wondering if anyone else had the problem. Might be a 2013+ thing also..

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Shaun turns off the abs in his race tunes an everything else is turned off too

01bluesnake

Established Member
I ran a 26"/28" combo and never had a problem at the trac or on the street with abs I do turn off traction and stability at the track, but usually forget when street driving so doubt that's the problem.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
just reach behind one of the rear tires and unplug a sensor, it will disable the system, alot quicker than switching tunes.

RFM50

Established Member
I had kind of the same problem except when I switched to my drag wheels, even though I would turn the advance trac completely off, the car didn't like the different wheel size and would think the front wheels where loosing traction and it would turn the advance track back on. I called BBR and they sent me a race tune that shut the abs and advance track completely off and it solved my problem.

kevinp

Established Member
just reach behind one of the rear tires and unplug a sensor, it will disable the system, alot quicker than switching tunes.

I was just going to unplug the ABS fuses :) I wasnt sure if unplugging a sensor would cause it to limit speed or power when the ABS shuts down.

As far as disabling the ABS in a tune I dont think that is possible, I know you can shut the traction control off in the tune but the ABS has its own module. It may affect the advance trac as well, not sure which is causing the issue though TCC/advance track or ABS. I would think if the ABS detected enough variation in wheel speed to kick in at 90mph it would shut itself down after a certain amount of time like the GM cars do.

Unplugging the sensor is probably the easiest though since I wont use these wheels/tires for any kind of street driving..

RFM50

Established Member
The abs can be shut off in the tune. I know this because i have a tune with it shut off. I questioned it as well, before someone corrected me. Trust me call your tuner and talk with him about it. It can be done. Hopefully Saun from AED or Steve from BBR will chime in to explain more.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I was just going to unplug the ABS fuses :) I wasnt sure if unplugging a sensor would cause it to limit speed or power when the ABS shuts down.

As far as disabling the ABS in a tune I dont think that is possible, I know you can shut the traction control off in the tune but the ABS has its own module. It may affect the advance trac as well, not sure which is causing the issue though TCC/advance track or ABS. I would think if the ABS detected enough variation in wheel speed to kick in at 90mph it would shut itself down after a certain amount of time like the GM cars do.

Unplugging the sensor is probably the easiest though since I wont use these wheels/tires for any kind of street driving..

i've been 159mph with it unplugged, and even more on the dyno

especially if your changing tires, it's the easiest thing to do, your already down there, unplug from one side, and be done, no fuse to lose, drop, break

when you swap the wheels back, plug her back in

kevinp

Established Member
The abs can be shut off in the tune. I know this because i have a tune with it shut off. I questioned it as well, before someone corrected me. Trust me call your tuner and talk with him about it. It can be done. Hopefully Saun from AED or Steve from BBR will chime in to explain more.

I pretty much am my own tuner, I just work off of one of VMP's tunes, there nothing to do with the ABS in the SCT PRP software. Maybe at the dealer level they have access but I dont.

i've been 159mph with it unplugged, and even more on the dyno

especially if your changing tires, it's the easiest thing to do, your already down there, unplug from one side, and be done, no fuse to lose, drop, break

when you swap the wheels back, plug her back in

Thats what I'll do, like you said the rear wheel sensor plug is right there. Simple enough since I'll only use the drag wheels a couple times a year, if I was planning on street driving them I'd look into other options.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread