Drag wheels that will fit Cobra brakes

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
Does anyone know what drag wheels will fit on a 99 cobra without any modifications to the brakes and also work with the stock studs? I'm looking at either Weld Pro-stars or Draglites or Jegs wheels that look like the Pro-stars. I'm not sure if they make them in 16 inch versions because the biggest I see for all these wheels are 15 inch ones. I would probably go with a 9 inch wheel in the back because my car is lowered and I dont want any rubbing issues. I dont want to go too skinny in the front because I will be driving it on the street alot so I'm looking at 6-8 inches wide. Any input would help, thanx.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
First off, let me start by saying Jegs/Summit brand knock offs are exactly that, they are NOT a drag wheel. They are cheap, heavy, China made garbage. Now that that is out of the way, are you looking for a complete set? Not all 15" drag wheels will clear Cobra brakes, but some will. No 15" wheel will clear the Cobra IRS so you must grind on your rear outter tie rod to fit them. It's not hard to do, I did it with mine, as have thousands of others on here. Welds new wheels, called the RTS series fit over Cobra brakes front and rear. For the rear, your best bet is a 15x8.275 with 5.5" backspace. They are SFI approved, light weight, come in black or polished, and are affordable. The front you will need 15x4 with 1.50" backspace. That is the only option you have for a 15" wheel that will clear OEM Cobra front brakes. I use stock studs with my Welds, however it is always recommended that a stronger ARP or Moroso stud is used.

5792479390_bda1f13481_b.jpg

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm looking for a complete set. I'm doing it for the looks as this car will rarely see the track so I will not be putting a slick on the back. I'm looking for a set that will clear the brakes and suspension with out any modification to them. I would also like to use the stock studs if possible. I'm open to whatever ones will fit whether they are 15" or 16".

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
First off, let me start by saying Jegs/Summit brand knock offs are exactly that, they are NOT a drag wheel. They are cheap, heavy, China made garbage. Now that that is out of the way, are you looking for a complete set? Not all 15" drag wheels will clear Cobra brakes, but some will. No 15" wheel will clear the Cobra IRS so you must grind on your rear outter tie rod to fit them. It's not hard to do, I did it with mine, as have thousands of others on here. Welds new wheels, called the RTS series fit over Cobra brakes front and rear. For the rear, your best bet is a 15x8.275 with 5.5" backspace. They are SFI approved, light weight, come in black or polished, and are affordable. The front you will need 15x4 with 1.50" backspace. That is the only option you have for a 15" wheel that will clear OEM Cobra front brakes. I use stock studs with my Welds, however it is always recommended that a stronger ARP or Moroso stud is used.

5792479390_bda1f13481_b.jpg

Good info man, Thanks! :beer:

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
I use Bogart 16x10s in the back and a 15x4 with a welded-in 1" space in the front with my IRS and cobra brakes. No issues, but you are going to need longer wheel studs in the front for this.

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. How is it braking and steering on the street with the 4 inch wide wheels on the front and what size tire did you run on the rear and did it clear the IRS bolt? My car is lowered and I have the stock IRS bolt.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. How is it braking and steering on the street with the 4 inch wide wheels on the front and what size tire did you run on the rear and did it clear the IRS bolt? My car is lowered and I have the stock IRS bolt.

Using a 15x8 wheel with 5.5" backspace should put you in the clear for the IRS bolt, depending on tire size. Even if it does rub, the bolts are cheap and easy to install. Braking and turning on the street with skinnies is an adjustment. You have to learn to brake sooner, because they will lock up easier with less contact patch. A proportioning valve will cure that issue, but is not entirely needed if you learn to slightly alter your driving habits. Best thing to do is find an empty parking lot and practice stopping with them, so you can see how hard you can stop before locking them up. Turning must be done slowly, as the front rims are narrow and the tires will push. It's not rocket science, just don't expect to be doing any road coursing with them. I run 28x8.5-15 Mickey Thompson ET Drags on my car, but if you're just going for the look, I could suggest another tire depending on your gear ratio, ride height, and if the car ever sees rain or not.

Users who are viewing this thread