Drag Suspension Questions?

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
So I've been looking into buying suspension suited for street/strip applications. Here is a couple ideas I have come up with and some questions I have since I don't know much about suspension, especially spring rates.

Idea 1:
Strange 10-way adjustable shocks
Strange 10-way adjustable struts
FMS B springs

Idea 2:
Strange 10-way adjustable shocks
Strange 10-way adjustable struts
Eibach Drag Launch springs

Idea 3:
Strange 10-way adjustable shocks as coil overs such as this kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/290989767095?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
-They offer 10-125, 10-150, and 10-175 spring rates
Strange 10-way adjustable struts as coil overs (can't seem to find a kit like the above link)
- could someone give me a link to these, or tell me how to make them coil overs

What do each of the numbers in those spring rates mean exactly?
Which is more suited for street/strip?

I plan on getting Strange shocks and struts no matter what way I go with, but I don't know how to go about making them coil overs or buying them as coil overs. And I don't know about the spring rates of the ones above, and such as the FMS B springs and Eibach drag launch springs.

I do drive this car a lot on the street when its nice out only. But I am definitely no corner carver, so I'm not too worried about handling in the curves. I want a setup that is good for the strip and not to bouncy on the street, don't mind some though. Plus I know having the adjustable shocks and struts will help when it comes to that.

Just need some help to get pointed in the right direction. I will be on a good set of tires. Either Hoosier Quick Time Pros or Hoosier D.O.T. Drag Radials, and I launch at 4-4500 rpms. Which I'll be using my new N2MB box this year. But that's getting off subject, so what do you guys think with these suspension ideas, or what else do you guys use that is fairly simple and works well?

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
well, there is one pretty serious issue that you can run into with going with coil overs. the rear upper shock mount is not engineered to take the pressures of a spring and can break off. there are people who have had to deal with that on ModdedMustangs in the New Edge forum and they're all the same suspension...

the 10-125 number is length by spring rate pounds if i recall correctly.

your Strange Engineering choice is solid. if you don't care about looks at all i have heard good things about the the Eibach drag launch springs but the car will sit high, like stock or possibly higher.

...since you're looking for Street/Strip you ultimately need to decide which the car will be setup for the most. i have spent a long time researching suspension for Street/Strip for my New Edge and there is no definitive answer. you need to decide what you are willing to give up. like control arms. spherical bearings are hard on tq boxes and should be reinforced, on the other hand poly control arms like the Team Z street beast system have a reputation for binding on hard drag launches. tests have shown good results but rumor is stay away from poly for drag but it's not so bad for street.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Thank you very much for your answer.

I actually already have j&m upper and lower tubular control arms with poly bushings. Have had them for about a year and so far no problems. And I thought about eventually putting spherical bearings in it but just the rear end side.

I actually have heard about coil overs doing that, would a rear strut tower brace solve this problem?

As far as ride height with the springs, I'm not really picky about that, would like to maybe see some pics with some cars with those springs to be sure though.

Like said before, I do drive a lot on the street, but go to the strip around once a month. That's one reason for getting adjustable shocks and struts.

Thank you again for your reply.

chao5.0

Established Member
I would contact Team Z and let them guide you on your purchase as to what you want vs. need. I watched a few of their videos regarding their parts and in the video they gave good insight to what works and sometimes whats overkill. they didn't recommend the coilovers in the rear with stock attachment points, but they did recommend spherical rod ends and their upper control arm relocation kit to change the IC of the car to better suit strip concerns. no matter what you choose though I would reinforce the tq boxes just because they take so much of a beating with launching at the track.

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
Well, unfortunately a rear strut tower brace won't be much help. they're designed to assist and resist tower flex in and out. won't provide any assistance with stopping inward and outward (up and down maybe?) pressure to the towers. they can be welded and strengthened but i don't know much about that.

here's a thread with pictures and videos of the Eibach drag kit. really gives back that factory off road appearance stance but work well in a dig/launch

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/147140-eibach-drag-launch-spring-kit.html

if you can deal with the height they do lift, drop, and transfer weight well. i didn't go with them because i was streeting my car way more than track.

as for your other mentioned option, i have no experience with them to have any input. might be worth searching around on ModdedMustangs.com in the older 99-04 threads. there's a few people there that REALLY know their stuff even though the forums there are a bit slow.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
The Eibach drag kit is kind of entry level stuff and thats fine if thats what you want. Team Z will walk you through what you need. Team Z has springs for the fox body,03 04 cobras,sn95 cars. They have a line of custom springs they had engineered just for Team Z.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
I have Team Z front end coil over kit. Fox body strange 10 way struts. strange 10 way shocks, stock rear springs with a coil cut and upper and lower control arms..... It works great at the track and on the street it is well mannered. I have cut 1.5 60' so far and still have to dial it in. That suspension is exactly what Dave at Team Z will tell you, he talked me through it

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
Thanks guys, real good info. F8L BYT, what spring rate and length spring did you go with if you don't mind me asking. That's a real good 60' , so far my best is 1.80. Right now my car has maximum motorsports suspension package , its more of a handling package, and I'm not a corner carver so I don't need it, lol.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
just a fun pic of my car @ Team Z
COBRA2_zps7b39c988.png

F8L BYT

Established Member
Thanks guys, real good info. F8L BYT, what spring rate and length spring did you go with if you don't mind me asking. That's a real good 60' , so far my best is 1.80. Right now my car has maximum motorsports suspension package , its more of a handling package, and I'm not a corner carver so I don't need it, lol.

I have 12-150, but If I could do it again I would go 12-170.... Also make sure you run foxbody front struts with a 12" spring

Users who are viewing this thread