drag suspension advice....

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
ok guys i have been doing a lot of research...from what ive concluded bang for buck suspension is 4 cylinder fox springs with drag springs in rear(moroso,eibach,etc.)then some 90/10 or 70/30 up front or the 10 way adj. stranges and 50/50 rear or also the strange....

i am wanting to beef up the suspension for more traction and better 60's...but i dont want to spend a fortune...but at the same time i want the best i can do...(dont we all lol) eventually in the future i have plans for a single turbo ..but at the momment i am on bottle.

i was thinking to do shock and strut wise ...lakewood 90/10 or 70/30 and rear 50/50 or the strange 10 way adj. front and rear...is it going to be worth the extra money for the strange ????

then next is i am wanting to change my current spring setup..
i would like to do either upr,grantelli coiloverwith the 14inch springs..and moroso rear drag springs.or should i just stick with the 4cylinder spirngs up front then the drag springs in rear?

and later on doing steeda lower control arms and adj. uppers.

i am just looking to see what you guys think about these thoughts... i am wanting to know what to do soon so i can put it on the christmas list!!!!! :beer:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
SFC's are a must if you dont already have them. Do those coupled with a set of upper/lower control arms. Solid lowers and adjustable uppers will do fine. do the fox springs up front with 70/30's and eibach drag launch springs out back with the 50/50's. Should do real well. Remove the front swaybar for more weight transer as well.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
yeah i was planing on doing them also..so youd ont think its worth investing on the coilovers???and i should just get the lakewoods? what order do you guys recomened doing all this in.

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i went with the strange 10 way up front and qa-1's in the rear with eibach drag launch springs front and rear. i also have steeda upper and lower control arms. personally i like being able to adjust the shocks and struts so i can change when i'm going to the track and for when i'm driving around. i have yet to perfect my launch and which setting works best in the rear, but with 4.10 gears and 487 rwhp i'm getting consistent 1.80 60' with a best of 1.79. it's hard to launch with the 4.10's and all that hp. oh and that was on bfg dr's. next year i'm going with 15" mt's and that should get me in the consistent 1.70's i hope.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Keep your stock rear springs and shocks. They are basically a 50/50 rate. Upgrade the front struts and springs. If on a budget, get the lakewood 90/10's with Eibach drag springs. Car will really lift the nose. For control arms..again if on a budget get mac boxed non adjust uppers and lowers with polyurethane bushings. If you have some money to spend I'd say a k-member (AJE or PA racing, coilovers (14" 175lbs), and tubular a-arms.

-Mark

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
i went with the strange 10 way up front and qa-1's in the rear with eibach drag launch springs front and rear. i also have steeda upper and lower control arms. personally i like being able to adjust the shocks and struts so i can change when i'm going to the track and for when i'm driving around. i have yet to perfect my launch and which setting works best in the rear, but with 4.10 gears and 487 rwhp i'm getting consistent 1.80 60' with a best of 1.79. it's hard to launch with the 4.10's and all that hp. oh and that was on bfg dr's. next year i'm going with 15" mt's and that should get me in the consistent 1.70's i hope.

im sure you will on the mickeyts!!! i really like the idea of fully adj.. but i dont think i need it since the car isnt a daily driver..but i would like to keep it streetable.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
Keep your stock rear springs and shocks. They are basically a 50/50 rate. Upgrade the front struts and springs. If on a budget, get the lakewood 90/10's with Eibach drag springs. Car will really lift the nose. For control arms..again if on a budget get mac boxed non adjust uppers and lowers with polyurethane bushings. If you have some money to spend I'd say a k-member (AJE or PA racing, coilovers (14" 175lbs), and tubular a-arms.

-Mark

i was hopping to lower it a bit..so thats why i was going with those springs in the rear.with eithr the 4cyl.up front or adj. coilovers...dont the eibach springs come in a kit for all the springs ... i am planning on solid lowers and adj. uppers. so you recomend just gettin the 90/10 up front with a coilover setup??? how about that. with the drag spring in rear. would that be a good set up?

fourvalvegt

Established Member
get the 90/10s for the front with coilovers with a 14175 spring megabite fr control arms in the rear and new upper control arms and it should hook pretty good if you have the money get a airbag so you can adjust it moroso rear drag springs 50/50 shocks and a tubular k member

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
in what order would you recomened gettin this stufff??? should i start off with the coilovers and rear springs ..or shocks and struts? the control arms then kmember.thanks for the help guys. i just realized i only found eibach drag springs???? the moroso ones are for onlyt he older body style..wont these work on our cars?i thought they would be the same

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
im guessin in order rear springs,front coilovers, struts and shocks, uppers and lowers ,then k member.

i think it depends on your budget and if your doing the install. i'm not very mechanically inclined but i try and was able to do the rear shocks and front struts myself so thats what i did first. i don't think the adjustable stuff is much more that the set stuff so if you intend to drive it at all on the street i would go with adjustable shocks and struts. i paid to have the springs done and i'm glad i did cause the fronts ones are a real bitch. if your paying for someone to install it all, do one section at a time like everything done to the rear at once because it will cost more in the long run if you do it piece by piece. you'll be paying for the same labor over and over again.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
i would look at your rear upper and lower control arms first because if the bushings are worn out or gone you will get the most out of control arms first. if it were my car i would do all the rear suspension first and front coilovers at the same time if you can afford it

Users who are viewing this thread