Drag/Street suspension & Wobble concerns

dstow13

Established Member
So as you can see in my sig that i have a 2014 gt with a kennel bell blower on it. Whenever I do some highway pulls with my buddies, when my speed gets to the triple digits the car feels quite unsafe sometimes. Sometimes there is a wobble, like the car will rock left to right. I have the stock springs, struts, & shocks. I'd like some input as to where i should go concerning my suspension. I'd like to have it set up to where the suspension is useful at the drag strip as well as on the street because i daily it. should i look at coil overs? or just springs & shocks and struts separate? I don't want to slam my car bc I'm running 20 inch velgens with the 315 nitto nt05r's and i don't want to have to worry about rubbing issues. thanks for your input!

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have poly or solid bushings in your control arms. If they are poly check to see if you have a split bushing in one of them.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I was going to say the same thing, check your poly bushings. Mine felt like that just resently and I found a cracked poly bushing hanging out on the driver side.

dstow13

Established Member
I have poly bushings. I'll check them out. But you guys don't think the stock springs are the cause of the wobble at high speeds since they are soft? if the road is smooth then there isn't any wobble. It's just if the road isn't smooth or for whatever reason i move the steering wheel ever so slightly that the car will start to wobble. thanks for yalls input! :)

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I haven't noticed any wobble on stock springs at 144mph... Then again I don't jerk the wheel at that speed. I don't have a front sway bar either.

kdaly

Established Member
personally, i think the suspension on these cars are the first thing to address. Adding more HP should be matched with with suspension on s197's. I'd get good dampers and springs. You can get CO's if you have the money too. It will completely change the characteristics of the car.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Actually I think just the opposite for an auto car. The guy that tunes my car has gone 1.36 & 1.37 60' times with 100% stock suspension ( +aftermarket adj pan hard) and that includes both sway bars on. My car 60's 1.39 w/ stock springs, stock lower control arms, Roush upper and adj rear shocks. The upper & shocks aren't really needed. Both 9.50 TVS blower cars

kdaly

Established Member
Actually I think just the opposite for an auto car. The guy that tunes my car has gone 1.36 & 1.37 60' times with 100% stock suspension ( +aftermarket adj pan hard) and that includes both sway bars on. My car 60's 1.39 w/ stock springs, stock lower control arms, Roush upper and adj rear shocks. The upper & shocks aren't really needed. Both 9.50 TVS blower cars

Scott could be totally right for DR'ing as I have never hit the strip. But for a DD or on the streets, I saw a vast improvement when I went to aftermarket suspension. It was confidence inspiring and stable at all speeds. I've done 160mph and felt planted and trusted the car. It certainly wont hurt anything nor will it be money wasted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread