Drag Radials

ModsAway

Established Member
Ok I plan on purchasing some new tires to put on in the spring since my F1's are all bald... not sure how that happened :dw: :shrug:

I want to put on some BFG DR's but am open to other suggestions.

My real question, should I put 4 DR's on as I was planning on keeping the stock size for now anyway 275/17's. This way I can still rotate them to try and get a little more life out of them.

How will the car perform with DR's on the front? Is this not recommended or will I be fine? I imagine wet traction will be diminished but I take it easy in the rain anyway.

Thanks for your help. :burnout:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
I would not put on dr's in the front.
Also on a 9' rim. myself and a couple of buds have put a nitto 315 on without any trouble and better traction that the 275.
If you want balls out traction and tire wear is not your concern go with the BFG's.

ModsAway

Established Member
Ok so no DR's up front.... just leave the stock tire then? I think I could find two that aren't too bald to leave up front ;-)

Would you give me a reason for no DR's up front in your opinion? Just not worth the wear and tear on a DR up front or traction issues or what?

Thanks again, hoping some others will chime in as well with how they have done it. I feel kinda wierd having two brands of tires on my car but I guess thats how its done... :shrug:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
That is how its done. I've never seen DR's up front. As far as the difference between BFG and Nitto's, the BFG's get stickier at the track, but do not last near as long as the nitto's. If you're experienced in doing burnouts, I would go with the Nitto's. Last much longer. If wear is not your concern, then by all means get the BFG's, but remember, as far as 275's go either will fit well, if 315's are what you're looking for, BFG's won't fit unless a spacer is used, or IRS bolt shving is done. The Nitto 315's fit fine with no mod necessary.....

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
IMOP BFG's dont last long on the street, they dont like anything that resembles wet pavement.

If your looking for a more mild mannored street tire I would get the nitto's. They seem to last longer from the concensus.

I use an extra set of stock rims with 275 BFG mounted on them for the track. F1's on the street.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
As far as DR on the front. I believe the sidewalls aren't as strong, hence more swaying side to side. Hence steering sucks!!! My buddy tried it on his 95 and it swayed like a boat and they wore out super quick.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I've never seen DR's up front.
I ran Nitto DR's on all 4 corners of my GT...when it just went to the track/shows occasionaly. After driving it 3 days in a row (when the Cobra went down), I ordered some GS D3's for it. The car handled like crap with DR's up front.

Like the others, I recommend Nitto DR's out back if you're not getting extra rims. The BFG's wear WAY faster and they suck in the rain.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Hey race rat, nice ride! I too have a sonic blue drop top. I'm stationed up in Abilene, TX. How did you manage to get those kind of #'s out of your ride?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by SWEET94COBRA
Hey race rat, nice ride! I too have a sonic blue drop top. I'm stationed up in Abilene, TX. How did you manage to get those kind of #'s out of your ride?
Thanks...the numbers magically appeared when we put that little black box thingy on the engine. ;-)

wjfawb0

Established Member
Racerat, what size rims and GS-D3s on your running on your 4 corners?
I thought about nittos or BFGs on the rear, but I can't afford to change tires and rims all the time. I also need to be able to drive in the rain, so I am going GS-D3s all around. I am still contemplating wider tires and maybe rims for the rear though.

-Jason

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
17 x 9's with 275/40's up front
17x 10.5's with 285 40's out back.

I'm pretty sure the 285's would fit the stock rims without issue.

cobra101

Established Member
Do they sell 17 x 10.5 that are exactly the same style as my stock wheel? I have the polished cob ra wheel not the chrome.

Also, would I need spacers or anything funky to use them?

thanks

wjfawb0

Established Member
Thanks racerat.

They do sell 17x10.5 rims that are made to match the stock machined finished 17x9 cobra wheels. You can get them from AFS, tires.com, wheel replicas and several other sources.

Depending on the tire you run, you may or may not have fitment issues. It can also depend on the alignment of your IRS. Some are able to run 285 or even 315 tires on 17x10.5 rims on the rear. Some have to get spacers that are around an inch thick to keep the tire from contacting the IRS bolt on the rear IRS subframe.

I would think the 285 tires on the 17x10.5 might fit most cobras without any spacers or shaved IRS bolts. I don't know for sure though. The main issue is the tire sidewall contacting the IRS bolt head when the suspension is being unloaded. If you need spacers look at maximummotorsports.com under their wheels category. They have several good spacer sizes for sale. You can search hear for spacers or 315 tires or somethign like that to find many threads on the spacer and wheel fitment issue.

Also, always remember that nitto 315 drag radials run about the same section width as most other tire brand's 285 size tire. Nittos tend to run narrower, making them an easier fit for most Cobra owners.

-Jason

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I had to shave the IRS bolts because they would rub the tires when the suspension was unloaded. Didn't want to take a chance of the tire being gouged by an unobservant person since my car seems to be on the lift so much. LOL

Also noticed that one tire was closer to the bolt than the other.
I have the AFS polished 03 replicas and they look pretty darn good.

Users who are viewing this thread