Drag radials tire question??

ScottieGT500

Established Member
I am looking to put a set of Dr's on my 12' GT500. Can anyone shed any light on the difference between the 555r's and the NT05r's? And what sizes are you all running and or are experiencing any rubbing issues?
Thanks guys,
Scottie

antuan martin

Established Member
I am looking to put a set of Dr's on my 12' GT500. Can anyone shed any light on the difference between the 555r's and the NT05r's? And what sizes are you all running and or are experiencing any rubbing issues?
Thanks guys,
Scottie

I put the nt05r 315/35/20. No issues in my 2012

08KR525

Established Member
If you look at the NT05Rs it's pretty clear they're not too safe in the rain. If that is a major concern the 555R's will do much better, but will sacrifice some grip in dryer conditions.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Another option is the 305/35/20 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II.

I recently acquired a set of MT's (shown in picture below) and am very impressed with how much more traction they have over my Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

lDqNtr3.jpg

fullboogie

Established Member
I would never use the NT05's in daily driver that might get caught in the rain - just look at the minimal tread pattern. I've used the 555R's for 18 months and love them, but they wear VERY fast. I think I got 5000 miles out of them, with no track time and no abuse. I guess it's the price you have to pay.

FYI - major tire chains are now refusing to install 305's on stock 9.5" rims. Because Nitto recommends a minimum of a 10" rim, they simply refuse to install them. I had to go from 305's (which I loved) to the 285's recently because of this issue.

99SSls1

Established Member
NT05r 315/35/20 have been on my car for 350 miles with minor wet use with no problem. I would not dd on them that's for sure. Traction is just insane and not comparable to any "street tire" and they look awesome on the back.

I never use major tires company's to put my tires on so it will not be a problem.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
How did you like them? Handle good, road noise, do ok in wet weather, and hook much better than stock?

555s should provide more grip than 05Rs in wet conditions, slightly less grip than 05Rs in warm, dry conditions. With close to 700rwhp, NT05R 285/40R18 is what I am using on stock wheels and not even close to rubbing with a one inch drop in the rear. Great tire for street driving in warm dry weather, loses traction in cold weather below 60 degrees, and loses all traction in wet conditions (not safe). Side wall is pretty firm for street driving and spirited driving on curvy roads. My drivetrain noise is louder than any road noise from the tires, definitely tolerable. Yes, hook much better than stock and dead hook on the strip when aired down to 18psi.

ScottieGT500

Established Member
Another option is the 305/35/20 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II.

I recently acquired a set of MT's (shown in picture below) and am very impressed with how much more traction they have over my Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

lDqNtr3.jpg

Those look very good on there. My car is not a DD and has never been in the rain, So I am with you all on that. Its very occasionally driven, Matter of fact so occasional it hasn't been driven in over 4 months....Garage Queen!!!
I think I am going to look into the MT ET Streets or 05R'S...

09VistaGT500

Established Member
I have a 12 with stock svtpp wheels and run the Nitto 555R in 305. Made a huge difference in grip. No noticeable road noise and have made it home when caught in the rain once.

mcate

Established Member
I'm running 2010 19" wheels on my '09, with 305 NT05R's. With 529 rwhp the tires will spin some in 1st, but dead hook in 2nd. Been caught in the rain twice & just drove slower (40 mph) & it did fine.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Those look very good on there. My car is not a DD and has never been in the rain, So I am with you all on that. Its very occasionally driven, Matter of fact so occasional it hasn't been driven in over 4 months....Garage Queen!!!
I think I am going to look into the MT ET Streets or 05R'S...

NT05R is better on the street and nearly equal on the strip, I run them full-time on my '14, 1.76 60' at 15.5 psi.
I run MT on my strip Fox.
-J

TheGovernment

Established Member
I had the ET streets II's on my regal T-Type.... I didn;t even get 500 miles out of them... They didn't even grip that well, I could smoke them no problem just hitting boost. I literally hated them lol 285/40/18
I'll be getting the 315 - 555r's for my F10's when they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread