Drag radials or no?

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
Long story short, racing a 00' Mustang GT tonight for money and he won't tell me what its got. I'm ok with that but I'm worried about traction. I'm running Nitto 555 non-dr and the truck put down 485/540 so needless to say it just spins til about 40mph. My question is a buddy of mine has some 255/50/16 MT et streets and said i could put them on my spare rim plus another spare steel for tonight. Any thoughts on which of the two combos I should use (295 Nittos or 255 ET streets) and if I go with the MT's what air pressure? Thanks

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
The ET's would definitely hook better would be your best bet if they were the same size, but with only a 255 I don't know, that is hard to say, that is alot less tire, but a better tire? How is the truck holding up, you taking care of that thing lol? You never posted any install pics or anything? FFS

busakiller

Established Member
Long story short, racing a 00' Mustang GT tonight for money and he won't tell me what its got. I'm ok with that but I'm worried about traction. I'm running Nitto 555 non-dr and the truck put down 485/540 so needless to say it just spins til about 40mph. My question is a buddy of mine has some 255/50/16 MT et streets and said i could put them on my spare rim plus another spare steel for tonight. Any thoughts on which of the two combos I should use (295 Nittos or 255 ET streets) and if I go with the MT's what air pressure? Thanks

when you say et streets, are they the radial or the race tire??

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
Ya I know Stan, I've been waiting for my buddy who details my truck (obsessive compulsive) to clean my engine bay. He works offshore and has a new girlfreind so... I didnt want to post up pics with a nasty engine bay cause it would take away from ya'll's handy work. It rains all ther time down here so it got residue like the second day it was in. But I'm posting up pics as soon as its all shiny again. As far as the tires go, the 255 is what makes me think that it might not help out. The tires are the ET radials and this will be the first time running anything since the built motor. This guy is a total TOOL, "dont worry what I got, just be ready to get your ass handed to you." He doesn't know what I'm rolling with either, just #14. I might get whipped, I may be the one with the bigger stick though.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
you def need somthing better than regular 555 nittos my poor truck had them on it to drive it from the race car shop to the house the other day half throttle and the tires were buzzing

2tonOfun

Established Member
Well, what tires is he running? If he has a bunch of hp and no hook, then you still may get him. Chances are his car just has some bolt ons and he just doesn't know what an L with 540ftlbs of torque will do to him and then even if you do spin some on launch, you'll still beat him.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
go get him with the 255 mt's put low air pressure at 16 and youll eat his lunch! keep us posted and a vid!

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
Video is a must. I know he has headers and exhaust and stock goodyear zr's. The car still has temp tags on it so Im banking on he doesn't know how to drive it yet. We are racing for $100 if he uses tcs, $200 if he doesn't. And belive one of my buddy's is going to be watching that yellow lamp.

01 Cobra

Whine "O"
Established Member
unless he's sprayin the shit out of it i would'nt worry about it. not sayin that gt's are slow by any means i'm just assuming that if it still has temp tags that he prolly does'nt even know what it has. in essense it's prolly stockish with exhaust and if that's the case it's gonna be real ugly.

busakiller

Established Member
Ya I know Stan, I've been waiting for my buddy who details my truck (obsessive compulsive) to clean my engine bay. He works offshore and has a new girlfreind so... I didnt want to post up pics with a nasty engine bay cause it would take away from ya'll's handy work. It rains all ther time down here so it got residue like the second day it was in. But I'm posting up pics as soon as its all shiny again. As far as the tires go, the 255 is what makes me think that it might not help out. The tires are the ET radials and this will be the first time running anything since the built motor. This guy is a total TOOL, "dont worry what I got, just be ready to get your ass handed to you." He doesn't know what I'm rolling with either, just #14. I might get whipped, I may be the one with the bigger stick though.

a little quick tip. mickey t DR's like to be shocked and to be ran about 14-16lbs. burnout time doesnt really matter, they work with a short or long one. i recommend a lengthy one, just to be sure on the street.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If you have the option to run a tire that will hook better than your current nittos then there is no reason not to do it. Street racing is all about getting of the line good.

540rwtq on steet tires boy oh boy....

La lightning

03 SB L
Established Member
The little F#$% chickened out about an hour before we ran! He told a mutual friend that he had to go out of town after they had a texting war all day long about how he was gonna beat that a$$. We were suppose to run at midnight and guess who was spotted driving around at 12:45? Man I'm pissed. He's the one that called me out and wanted to race for money. I had tires and rims swapped out, went and got some new disc for the video recorder, and while I was loading the jack in the back of the truck the handle came up just as I was putting it in bed and vented my factory bed cover. All for nothing! Maybe I should use that $200 and pay some crack head (dont need to go to jail) to beat his face in.

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
I dont know if you have one but if you didnt have a DS loop on your truck that was probably a good thing he didnt run you because you may have had to use the money if you beat him to buy a few new parts.

Users who are viewing this thread