Drag Radials for "Stock" ZL1 1/4 Times??

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Now why would the manufacturer change tires on a car that was supposedly "track ready" and "barely street legal"? Oh, maybe because with the stock rubber it won't hook.

So far, the fastest time on the stock Goodyear Supercar G:2 tires is a 12.04 I believe.

No doubt the ZL1 is a fast car, but when a company like GM hypes this car up as much as it has, and then needs drag radials to perform like it was supposed to on the drag strip, that's a bit of a disappointment. No matter how you slice it, the ZL1 is still a fast car though.

Z28

Established Member
Maybe they should have thrown those 18" wheels w/drag radials in the trunk from the factory lol.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
Now why would the manufacturer change tires on a car that was supposedly "track ready" and "barely street legal"? Oh, maybe because with the stock rubber it won't hook.

So far, the fastest time on the stock Goodyear Supercar G:2 tires is a 12.04 I believe.

No doubt the ZL1 is a fast car, but when a company like GM hypes this car up as much as it has, and then needs drag radials to perform like it was supposed to on the drag strip, that's a bit of a disappointment. No matter how you slice it, the ZL1 is still a fast car though.

No question about it... It's great. BUT if they ran an 11.9x using the sticky tire, they're losing the marketing battle to the likes of a lowly Boss 302 (edit: sarcasm) :rolling:

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
A local shop owner up here just brought his new ZL1 to the track over the weekend. Swapped on slicks and skinnies, stock otherwise, and went 11.4's @ 120.

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
No question about it... It's great. BUT if they ran an 11.9x using the sticky tire, they're losing the marketing battle to the likes of a lowly Boss 302 :rolling:

The Boss 302 is indeed a beast. Had it not been for the '13 GT500, the ZL1 would be the beast to own at this point. However, Ford stepped it up yet again.

Ten years ago people would've laughed at Mustangs and Camaros with performance numbers like these. We should all enjoy these days while we can, because CAFE and EPA milage/emissions are going to get much more stringent.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The ZL1's trap speeds are terrible. Big miss for GM on that one.

A certain car from Dearborn is going to prison rape this car.

Last edited:

Z28

Established Member

Agreed, I was expecting easy 120 mph trap speeds out of this car. I'm sure some guys will hit that speed with great DA, but the GT500 shouldn't have any issues getting into the 120's.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Any other car in the world runs with drag tires and its "not stock" :nono:

Shelby Gt500 runs with bigs and littles and its "stock" :bowdown:

Its like we need a supreme court of performance cars or somethign to decide these matters. :shrug:

x99blacksnakex

Established Member

I'm guessing that the '13 GT500 should trap at 125-127 MPH consistently. With a driver mod, well prepped track, and properly heated tires, maybe 130 MPH. E.T. should be 11.5-11.7 for most runs.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Did anyone else notice how much they were saying the words "stock tires" and "no modification" in the video....right before they put on the DR?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Agreed, I was expecting easy 120 mph trap speeds out of this car. I'm sure some guys will hit that speed with great DA, but the GT500 shouldn't have any issues getting into the 120's.

The ZL1 is an easy 10mph behind.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
They do say to break the car in first. Might shave a few seconds off the times we have been seeing...

As for them bragging about the 11.9 sec pass using aftermarket drag radials....:loser:

SicShelby09

Banned
They do say to break the car in first. Might shave a few seconds off the times we have been seeing...

As for them bragging about the 11.9 sec pass using aftermarket drag radials....:loser:

My GT runs that same time and mph with DRs and a tune. Not impressed.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Drag radials are the only way to truly test how fast a car is. Testing and actually racing these cars with stock tires is a joke. They should have street drag radials from the factory, but the tires wouldn't last as long.

I don't care for none drag radial tests, because when you go to the track nobody is running stock slippery tires. Always know your enemy/rival by it's true stock potential.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
Drag radials are the only way to truly test how fast a car is. Testing and actually racing these cars with stock tires is a joke. They should have street drag radials from the factory, but the tires wouldn't last as long.

I don't care for none drag radial tests, because when you go to the track nobody is running stock slippery tires. Always know your enemy/rival by it's true stock potential.

Agreed. Do you think Motor Trend will host a video of a GT500 with DRs? I doubt it.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
RoFL :lol: the Administrator posted something like
"Tire type talk ended. Any discussions about tire types on the video will get deleted
"

Talk about a totalitarian regime.

He ended deleting his own post or another and more rational Moderator deleted it. Its gone now.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

thats crap IMO. Why design a car with a chassis, suspension and gearing that only allows the vehicle to use a fraction of its available power? Especially when said vehicle cost near $60,000. For that much money it had better be fully capable off the show room floor. :bash:

Would it not make more sense to design a car that is much lighter, rear biased weight distribution and advanced traction/launch system? Instead they throw ton of power under the hood to appeal to the mindless fan boys and baby boomers with cash to burn. :rolleyes:

Its absolutely laughable that this car is returning similar performance to cars that are down 150hp and cost half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread