Drag Radial failure in winter?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Does anyone live in an area with great drivers (and great tires) around them all the time?

When a vehicle is hurtling toward you, can you get out of the way or stop short with your 'traction issues' ??

THAT is tempting Fate....when you're at the mercy of your tires, you don't have true control.
Mfg's know this, which is why they are "recommended for DRY competition use"

Hey, it's OK....I understand that machismo is something that's hard to overcome for some guys

Last edited:

SVT GT

Established Member
ok so if you keep your car in the garage (during the cold winter months) with the DR's on....... Should you should keep the car on jacks then? just to keep them from "flatspoting"

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont call driving DR's in the rain tempting fate.

You're riskier than I....... the rear end gets way too floaty, way too easily on DR's for me to ever be comfortable driving with water standing on the road.

Ralo

Established Member
ok so if you keep your car in the garage (during the cold winter months) with the DR's on....... Should you should keep the car on jacks then? just to keep them from "flatspoting"

You could just drive them on a warmer day and once they warm up they won't flat spot as much. I have DR and don't drive my car a lot and sometimes when I first hit the road I feel a flat spot for a few.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
While I agree that its not the best thing in the world it can be done.

You just have to realize that the tires will be rock hard for awhile and that will create a ill-handling car.

I could def feel the difference in mine after 10-15 mins of driving.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I had 555Rs on my first '03. Daily driver and in FL. That means lots of rain. I never had any issues. Maybe FL has different rain...:D

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
i saw this also, i wouldnt ever take a chance running them in the cold. prob depends somewhat where you live,and how cold it gets. my car stays in the garage all winter, and i would still remove the tires and bring them in the basement, just put the the stock tires on to sit on

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
On my first 03, I ran them all year long without issue. Although that was in GA so not alot of ice and snow happening.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I havent had any problems with mine. Even though it barely hits 40 down here in the winter. And as for the rain if there new there ok but as they ware they get like ski's, my gf daily drives the car and even shes never had a problem in the heaviest of downpours.

MrMason

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to end up getting some all weather tires to put on for winter. I was just curious as to how often the "catastrophic failure" occurs. It seems as though no one here has had any issues with it. I live up a mountain and it does snow sometimes, so I will be getting other tires and save these for summer use.

Puma

Established Member
If your tires crack like the one in the PDF, I could see that coming apart easily. Especially at the speeds we drive our cars, lol. But I cant see the tire just blowing apart without warning due to low temps.

As far as traction, well thats a whole different story. If you drive accordingly, DR's will get you home in the rain. I used to drive my fox body with slicks all the time and got caught in the rain a couple times, wasnt fun but made it home in one piece.

Users who are viewing this thread