drag racing = wheel hop

mikep01

Established Member
i took my 01 cobra to the track to a best of 14.3 at lacr (2700ft). i have never experenced so much wheel hop in my life. definitly not a drag suspension set up. i might consider a solid axel later on, but for now i'm going to crusie it.

dave58

seldom impressed
Established Member
Welcome to the secretly unlisted option that all '01 Cobras came equipped with........ the trunk-mounted jackhammer.
:bash:

Scared the hell outta 'ya the first time, didn't it ?? :lol: C'mon, be honest.

Seriously, though....... if you're gonna engage in straight-line displays of speed at your local track, you'd probably wanna look into a few upgrades for the traction department. Listed in no particular order (but of equal importance) are the following:

a) an IRS rear pinion brace (Pauls' High Performance and Ford both make 'em)
http://www.paulshp.com/
(not sure where you you might wanna get the Ford part, but they were originally made for the FR500 prototype). GEF Racing in Atlanta can get 'em for you if you wanted one.

b) a pair of drag radials (Nittos or M/T's come to mind)

c) upgraded halfshafts (Raxle or GKN Stage III's)....... they ain't cheap, either. Shatter or snap a halfshaft at the track one night and you'll get to pay for a tow truck AND new halfshafts.
:cryying:

After all of that, you get to practice launching the thing now, which can be a trick. It's not like the old 5.0L Fox-bodies when you just dumped the clutch and held on........ you have to GRADUALLY ease outta the clutch now.
The benefit once you get that 4v up over 4K though is priceless...... these things pull like a bear on the top end of second and third......... once they hook up.

Good luck and keep it on the track,
-Dave

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
from what most people tell me you play roulette with the stock IRS setup and track time. I made 14 passes on my stock IRS and on the 14th snapped the passenger side half shaft. I got it covered under warranty (very luckily), but I am not racing again until I swap to the live axel and get the 31 or 32 spline axels (can't remember which it was at the moment). And Dave is right, gotta practice those launches. Clutch dumps in my car are not the way to go ;-)

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
I made about 21 passes on my stock half shafts with IRS bushings IRS pinion brace and new springs and shocks thats the biggest key. I do agree it is like playing russian rulet running sticky tires on stock half shafts by the way my times with the above setup without any engine mods just the suspension was a 13.5 at 103 or 105 really close to that. Good luck.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
i almost ran a mid 13 with my cobra, with a 2.2 60ft, i ran the 1/8th mile at 83mph and about 50 feet from the finish line, my radiator came on so i coasted across the 1/4 mile finish line and ran a 13.9@105.... i feel as though i can at least run a 13.3 if i can get my 60ft down to a 1.9 or 2.0.....

Established Member
My best pass with the IRS was a 13.01 @ 109.55. Stock except for 03 shocks and Steeda springs. I got wheel hop if I wasn't careful, but the IRS can take a bit of a beating. I ran it hard with the IRS for almost two years.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by 103
My best pass with the IRS was a 13.01 @ 109.55. Stock except for 03 shocks and Steeda springs. I got wheel hop if I wasn't careful, but the IRS can take a bit of a beating. I ran it hard with the IRS for almost two years.

Ditto on almost all of this...except i ran a best of 12.921 @ 105.7, with the only rear end modification being eibach pro lowering springs...i got SOME hop, but not very much at all....
what you have to be careful for is not to stay in it if it starts hopping, that's how a broke my halfshaft, powershifting second...

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Ok, i didnt break a half shaft then :). My rear is acting weird though. It wheel hops more excessively now for some reason. Maybe i shouldnt drop it into 3rd when im going 85....

SNKBITE

Established Member
Although I have severe wheel hop almost every time I go to WOT with the stock tires, when I am at the track, I have never had any sort of hop with the Mickey Thompson E/T Streets. I have to believe from what I have seen that several here that have broken half shafts, have experienced wheel hop and have tried to "drive through" it.
Marc

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Wait i saw a Blue 01 Cobra on Friday...U raced on Saturday as well?

99 - 01 & 03 - 04 Cobra's will have Wheel Hop. For some reason some Cobra Owners have not had it from 03 - 04.

My best way to defeat the Wheel Hop was with BFG DR's...only managed to get hop once with them....but i screwed up my 1st time 2nd Gear Burnout....so the tires were freaking cold.

Dont think any thing out on the market can truly help...IMO.

sorry but i dont miss the HOP.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
mikep01

BTW...dont compare ur times with any Mid West or East Coast folks. They have better tracks & some times they are Below Sea Level.

Not sure what mods you have on right now but that isnt too bad for LACR...im sure with out the HOP ud be in the 13.9xx.

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
I have made a million passes on my stock IRS cept for the eibachs since I bought brand new.
Still, my original stock halfshafts have held up (knock on wood) to this day. My best 60 ft is 1.9 on a shitty track.

Couple things:
1.The DR's really help in reducing wheelhop. The more the traction, less hop.

2. When you go out and race, have at least a half tank of gas and leave your spare and jack in the trunk. This puts more weight on the rear wheels which means more traction. I know its more overall weight but when you count the whole 1/4 mile it really helps.I noticed when I race and have an empty tank an no spare,
my IRS wheelhops like CRAZY, resulting in shitty 60's and overall 1/4 times.

I hope this helps as I learned this through reall world experience

:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread