drag racing suspension

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sorry about that, forgot all about this thread.

Yes, I have updates. 28" M&H drag radials do not rub the fender with the 12-150 QA1 springs in the rear. The car has very little rake with the taller drag radials in the rear.

With the street tires, stock size, the car sits perfectly level to the eye. The rear of the car rides about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than the front. I don't have a picture of the car with the drag radials setup on, but I do have it with street tires.

Cobra Jet springs and Strange adjustable struts in the front (~27 1/4" ride height) - QA1 12-150 springs and Strange adjustable shocks in the rear (~27 5/8" ride height)

68d20465.jpg

354d78d3.jpg

8944777a.jpg

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I say drop more weight. Your getting some of the best 60 ft for a car with those mods. I say leave your setup an lose the weight because theres no need to change what's working

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The QA1 12-150 springs leveled the car perfectly, maybe 1/4" higher in the rear. However, it's slightly too low for the lower and upper control arms to achieve a proper instant center angles with the current settings of my rear suspension components, and when you have more than a full tank of fuel and two passengers.

This is why I wish the springs were about 1/2" to 3/4" taller. Unfortunately, QA1 only offers a 12" or 14" free height springs. Nothing in the 13" variety.

Van @ Revan Racing told me long ago that the 12-150 would require a spring perch to clear larger 29" tires. He was right on, and also required to get proper IC alignment angles. I wasn't going to spend money on adjustable spring perches online when I have a friend who can make me some from stainless.

These are 3/4" tall when the height of both rubber isolators are measured with it. I bought an extra pair of isolators from Ford to prevent metal to metal contact. They fit the axle like a lego block and a 2.5" coil spring can't jump off.

Here is what he did.

The isolators fit very snug on top, very slight movement ability on bottom inside.
7051f7ca.jpg

e79088e4.jpg

e9c790b0.jpg

a59c1527.jpg

I just test fit it to the axle seats, it fits perfect and has no room to move around. No slop at all.
031dc683.jpg

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
thanks for the info beast. you ever thought about trying the hyper coil springs instead of the qa1?

I just finished reading their .pdf catalog. Hyperco doesn't offer a 13" free height 2.5" I.D. application, it's the same choice as QA1....12" or 14".

14" springs give you stock ride height in the rear, yet the Cobra Jet front springs are in the weeds. It looks retarded with all the front rake. A 12.5" to 13" free height spring would be in the sweet spot for my desired look, yet still allow you to dial in the instant center settings on the car with multi hole location to change upper and lower control arm angles.

I also chuckled about the price of Hyperco's spring perches. $200.00, no thanks. I have $20.00 invested in the pair of mine, and that was only for two extra spring isolators from Ford.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
The QA1 12-150 springs leveled the car perfectly, maybe 1/4" higher in the rear. However, it's slightly too low for the lower and upper control arms to achieve a proper instant center angles with the current settings of my rear suspension components, and when you have more than a full tank of fuel and two passengers.

This is why I wish the springs were about 1/2" to 3/4" taller. Unfortunately, QA1 only offers a 12" or 14" free height springs. Nothing in the 13" variety.

Van @ Revan Racing told me long ago that the 12-150 would require a spring perch to clear larger 29" tires. He was right on, and also required to get proper IC alignment angles. I wasn't going to spend money on adjustable spring perches online when I have a friend who can make me some from stainless.

These are 3/4" tall when the height of both rubber isolators are measured with it. I bought an extra pair of isolators from Ford to prevent metal to metal contact. They fit the axle like a lego block and a 2.5" coil spring can't jump off.

Here is what he did.

The isolators fit very snug on top, very slight movement ability on bottom inside.
7051f7ca.jpg

e79088e4.jpg

e9c790b0.jpg

a59c1527.jpg

I just test fit it to the axle seats, it fits perfect and has no room to move around. No slop at all.
031dc683.jpg

Any updated ride height pics utilizing these perches and the drag radials?

Last edited:

athlon551

Established Member

Here is what he did.

7051f7ca.jpg

e79088e4.jpg

e9c790b0.jpg

a59c1527.jpg

031dc683.jpg

Exactly what I am looking for.....

I so want this setup did you make these? If so can I get a sketch. I can have the guys at work make me a set...if you bought them can I get a part number for the and a part number for the isolators?

Users who are viewing this thread