" Drag Racing " in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

90mustang306

Dead Crawlin
Established Member
Sorry for not posting sooner...I am under court supervision until my ticket is paid (no big deal) $150 for the court fines...$525 lawyer and $220 for the tow bill so $895 wasn't to bad...the other guy that was arrested with me got the same thing and his record was pretty bad...so if you have any questions pm me and help you out...

pge27

Comp Orange GT
Established Member
I got a dragracing ticket about 9yrs ago. It was classified as racing, so the trooper said, and recorded as 100mph in a 40mph zone. I went to court and ended up with an 8 hour traffic class.

98-LS1

Established Member
Thanks for the help, for those that said to get a lawyer. I've allready talked to two and they both said I'd be better off going alone and just paying the fine because there isn't much they can do and for $750.00 I think I'd rather take my chances. I've got a clean driving record, no police record, work for the Federal Government and am a Army Reservists so I don't think I'll be labeled as a criminal just for getting in the throttle a little. Just like it was said above, I was caught, whether it was right or wrong so I'll take whatever is given and be a little more careful. I go to court on the 2nd which is next week sometime so wish me luck.

sinen

Established Member
98-LS1 said:
What exactly does a misdemeanor citation mean? I've never been arrested or been in trouble before, also I wasn't racing this guy so how in the hell can I win this? I'm just going to talk to the judge and explain what happened, maybe he'll believe me and let me off. I mean hell, if the dude wasn't pulled over and written a ticket how can they say I was racing? Where is the person I was racing? There isn't any proof.

Sorry I haven't wrote back sooner. A misdemeanor citation in my department is an arrest, however the officer does not make a custodial arrest (not handcuffed and taken to jail) its not the same as a traffic citation. It is up to the defendant to turn themselves in on a specific date specified by the officer. On that date the defendant will be booked, fingerprinted and given a court date. It is reported on the defendants criminal history as an arrest. If the defendant does not show up, their license is immediately suspended, a outstanding capias or warrant is issued for the person to be arrested.

The officer obviously had probable cause to believe you were drag racing. Court is where you get your chance to tell your side of the story. Let us know how it turns out.

98-LS1

Established Member
Well, I went to court yesterday and luckily it was dis-missed. The officer didn't show up and after I explained to the judge what happened he just told me to be careful and to have a nice day. Guess I got lucky but I sure am glad! Just thought I'd update this thread, BTW, don't drag race in Tennessee!!

98-LS1

Established Member
sinen said:
Sorry I haven't wrote back sooner. A misdemeanor citation in my department is an arrest, however the officer does not make a custodial arrest (not handcuffed and taken to jail) its not the same as a traffic citation. It is up to the defendant to turn themselves in on a specific date specified by the officer. On that date the defendant will be booked, fingerprinted and given a court date. It is reported on the defendants criminal history as an arrest. If the defendant does not show up, their license is immediately suspended, a outstanding capias or warrant is issued for the person to be arrested.

The officer obviously had probable cause to believe you were drag racing. Court is where you get your chance to tell your side of the story. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. So every department has a different way of handling a misdemeanor? I just went to traffic court like a normal speeding ticket, luckily it was thrown out. My original court date was on the 2nd of November but the clerk didn't have a copy of my ticket or any of the paperwork so the Judge moved the date to the 21st. The district Attorney was a bitch though, she asked if I pleaded Guilty which I told her no, she then made a smartass comment about why I thought I wasn't guilty. I asked her where the innocent until PROVEN guilty part came into play or if she made her own rules. After I gave her a piece of my mind and explained what happened she shut her mouth. Some people in the law enforcement just think everyone is a criminal which I sure as hell ain't. Anyway thanks again and thank goodness it was thrown out, I was sweating all morning yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread