" Drag Racing " in Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

98-LS1

Established Member
Well I got a damn drag racing ticket Wednesday night and was wanting some advise on what to do. I was leaving the Kroger parking lot around 10:30 at night in my Z-28 when this dumbass kid in another LS1 Z-28 pulled in behind me and tailgated me all the way through the light and down Middlebrook Pike. I was doing the speed limit, tried slowing down so this moron would go around me but he wouldn't so finally I got fed up with him riding my ass so I punched it. He jumps out in the right lane and passes me while I'm letting out to slow down for Robertson Road, as I slow down I see some lights coming up on me quick and of course it's a Knoxville city police officer. I get pulled over and this mullet wearing dumbass teenager keeps on going. To make a long story short, he lectures me on racing and gives me a drag racing ticket, he said I can either pay it or go to court. I know what I did was wrong and I will take full responsability for it but damn, I wasn't trying to race this idiot, I was trying to get him off my ass! I have a class A CDL too so this is really going to **** me, especially with my insurance. Should I go to court and try getting into a Drivers course? I'm scared the judge will fine the shit outta me, take my license, and no telling what else. I feel like I've been screwed on this. This ticket is a class B misdemeanor too, what exactly does that mean?

55-10-502. Penalty.

Drag racing is hereby declared to be a Class B misdemeanor, and any person or persons who operate a motor vehicle or motor vehicles upon the public highways of this state, or while on the premises of any shopping center, trailer park, any apartment house complex, or any other premises generally frequented by the public at large, or who is a participant therein, for the purpose of "drag racing" commits a Class B misdemeanor unless such premises are properly licensed for such purpose. [Acts 1959, ch. 115, § 2; T.C.A., § 59-1041; Acts 1986, ch. 842, § 14; 1989, ch. 591, § 112.]

Thanks

thcg0d

Banned
all you have to do is invest the money, and get a lawyer. It cost me about 700 bucks, but in the end, IF you get a lawyer, you will be %100 fine.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I'm not a LEO, but I would think you should explain the situation to the judge. Maybe get it reduced to exhibition of speed or something...:shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
thcg0d said:
all you have to do is invest the money, and get a lawyer. It cost me about 700 bucks, but in the end, IF you get a lawyer, you will be %100 fine.

Getting a good lawyer and being 100% fine are not the same thing!

A good lawyer will never guarantee results nor can they assure you of them.

98-LS1

Established Member
yeah I'm not hiring a lawyer for this, if I can explain what happened to the judge and get it reduced then great, if not then I'll just be paying a little more of a fine. The maximum they can charge me is $500.00 so I'm thinking I can persuade them to let me have three months probation with a Drivers Safety course. We'll see...

sinen

Established Member
How many tickets have you received in the past? In my department you could have received a misdemeanor citation(which is an arrest, except you are not taken into custody.) Goodluck in court.

98-LS1

Established Member
sinen said:
How many tickets have you received in the past? In my department you could have received a misdemeanor citation(which is an arrest, except you are not taken into custody.) Goodluck in court.

What exactly does a misdemeanor citation mean? I've never been arrested or been in trouble before, also I wasn't racing this guy so how in the hell can I win this? I'm just going to talk to the judge and explain what happened, maybe he'll believe me and let me off. I mean hell, if the dude wasn't pulled over and written a ticket how can they say I was racing? Where is the person I was racing? There isn't any proof.

lightning_2000

Established Member
i had a friend in tennessee who got a drag racing ticket. it got thrown out in court. because he was the only one who got the ticket the other guy kept going.

i would lawyer up. HARD TO DRAG RACE YOURSELF

98-LS1

Established Member
lightning_2000 said:
i had a friend in tennessee who got a drag racing ticket. it got thrown out in court. because he was the only one who got the ticket the other guy kept going.

i would lawyer up. HARD TO DRAG RACE YOURSELF

Thanks, my point exactly! If they didn't get the other guy where is the proof I was drag racing. I found a lawyer for $750.00, kinda pricey but it'll be worth it if she can get this thrown out so my insurance doesn't go up.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
From what I understand drag racing language in TN is very liberal.

We ride on a road in the eastern part of TN, US129, also known as "Deal's Gap" or "The Dragon". THP have successfully issued tix for drag racing on this road, which purportedly has "318 curves in 11 miles". Apparently all is required for a drag racing ticket is for two people to be engaging in a contest of speed over any distance. They don't have to be side by side, nor do both of them have to be ticketed. All THP has to say is "I saw two individuals traveling together at a high rate of speed in what appeared to be a speed contest. I was able to cite only one perpetrator".

All the proof the judge needs is the officer's word. Nothing else. It's up to you or your lawyer to cast a shadow of doubt on the case.

90mustang306

Dead Crawlin
Established Member
I would get a lawyer...their not going to listen to your word vs the officers word....by the way i go on thursday for my drag racing ticket...good luck man

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I would also reccomend a lawyer. I have the greatist respect for law enforcement, but more and more as I observe cases in court, i'm seeing some officers state things as fact, or that they observed them when its very questionable according to other evidence that it infact happened as they state.

/shrug, the moral of the story is, hes going to swear he saw you racing whether he did or not. Without a lawyer you will have a hard time convincing some politician judge otherwise, because drag racing is a good platform to stand on come election year when he wants a council seat or the D/As job. Wrong place at the wrong time =/

Last edited:

98-LS1

Established Member
90mustang306 said:
I would get a lawyer...their not going to listen to your word vs the officers word....by the way i go on thursday for my drag racing ticket...good luck man

I know that's the truth, we'll see what happens then. Good luck on your ticket, let me know what they say. I talked to a lawyer and she said my case wouldn't have a good chance of winning of course so I guess I'll save that $750.00 and use it to pay the fine. There ain't no way of a normal person to win against them people, oh well.

slow02GT

ahole-1.gif

DravenGSX

Established Member
You're crazy to not get a lawyer.

As you stated, you are charged with a misdemeanor. This isn't a civil traffic violation. This is a criminal citation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread