Drag Racing and Tires Question

SVTKen

Established Member
A couple of weeks ago, I ran my Shelby at the drag strip. By the time I made my last pass, temps had dropped into the 60s. I heated my tires for a good 4 seconds or so before my last pass, but had considerable wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, and going into 3rd (the TC light was flickering). Needless to say, the run was completely botched and I hadn't done much differently than I did on my previous 7 passes. It seemed like the cooler track temperature had a large impact on my traction. I know the stock tires are lousy in the cooler temps, but didn't expect it to be that much worse because the temperature had probably only dropped by about 10 degrees and the track was prepped (although not great). What do you guys think the lowest temperature is that we can safely drag our cars on the stock tires? Would DRs help, or would they be equally bad in the cooler temps? I want to run my car more this fall, but am concerned about traction.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, drag radials all the way, they also will be negatively impacted by falling temps but not as bad.
I wouldn't take my car back on stock tires, not fun for me and probably not safe in cooler weather.
There has been at least one that wrecked at the strip on the 1-2 shift, I know I experienced some puckering after a 1-2 powershift and that would only be worse as temps drop.
Prob best to buy a cheaper 18" set that fits and put those on with some DRs for strip sessions.
I run a 315/35/20 NT05R on 20x11s but choose that because of a 4.10 gear--with stock gearing a shorter tire will help you overall, 305/35/18 MT DR 26.4" would be my choice.
-J

SVTKen

Established Member
I'm going to get 4 new tires soon to get me through the colder months here in Maryland. I think Ford picked the wrong tires for our cars because they suck in cooler temps, are awful/dangerous in temps below 60 degrees, and there are better choices (such as MPSS) for summer.

I was really hoping that I could get by with just two sets of tires, one set for summer and another set for the colder months. I will be installing some tires that work better in the cold temps some time in October or November.

Have you (or anyone else) raced your car in temps below 65 degrees on the stock tires? I plan to do the Friday night test & tune again at Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD. I may just run my car until sunset, and then go home or just watch the other cars for a while when the track temp drops.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Pilot Sport A/S for winter and Nitto NT555R 305/35/20 on stock rears for summer/strip make an excellent DD tire, could keep the A/S3s on the front year around I guess.
-J

scottGT500

Established Member
305/35 555R's fit the stock 9.5" rears right? Nitto's website says they are too wide for 9.5" wheels but some say they fit because they run way narrow...is this true?

Scott

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
305/35 555R's fit the stock 9.5" rears right? Nitto's website says they are too wide for 9.5" wheels but some say they fit because they run way narrow...is this true?

Scott

Those 305 Nittos fit the stock wheel perfectly, many here run it.
-J

Njtony

Established Member
They can be run at cooler temps if the track is good. Heat them up forever . Then get to the line and stage as quick as possible. I tried to end my burnout as the other guy was staging. If I took too long then the traction was gone. It's probably not worth trying at tracks with poor prep but I race at atco which usually does a good job.

SVTKen

Established Member
Pilot Sport A/S for winter and Nitto NT555R 305/35/20 on stock rears for summer/strip make an excellent DD tire, could keep the A/S3s on the front year around I guess.

-J

Thanks for the tire recommendations. I like the idea of keeping the A/S tires on the front year round.

They can be run at cooler temps if the track is good. Heat them up forever . Then get to the line and stage as quick as possible. I tried to end my burnout as the other guy was staging. If I took too long then the traction was gone. It's probably not worth trying at tracks with poor prep but I race at atco which usually does a good job.

The prep at Capitol Raceway is hit or miss, mostly it's not good. I took my SRT8 there a couple of times and never had good consistency, but got good trap speeds on most of my runs, but with wheelspin. I had much better consistency in my SRT8 at Cecil County Dragway and 75-80 Dragway. Thanks for the recommendation regarding the burnout and staging.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
To put another tidbit of information out there. What brand of compound does your track spray? VHT or VP?

VP does not perform very well at all when temperatures drop. VHT does a much better job that's why it's more common around here in division 3. (Indiana/Michigan/Ohio/Illinois/Kentucky).

Another thing is dew settling on the track. It gets the least damp it turns into an ice skating rink.

SVTKen

Established Member
To put another tidbit of information out there. What brand of compound does your track spray? VHT or VP?

VP does not perform very well at all when temperatures drop. VHT does a much better job that's why it's more common around here in division 3. (Indiana/Michigan/Ohio/Illinois/Kentucky).

Another thing is dew settling on the track. It gets the least damp it turns into an ice skating rink.

I'll ask about the track spray tomorrow night. I don't think the track was damp, but the temp dropped quickly once the sun set. I'm planning to just run from 5:00 to 6:30, when it's the temperature is good and before the crowds arrive. I can make more passes in the first hour than I will the rest of the night anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread