Drag Racing advice and set up?

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
I want to occasionally take my car to the track this summer and do some drag racing. Bolt on mach 1 with about 320 HP and with a built rear end (detroit locker, 4.30 gears, 31 spline axels). What would you recommend for a decent drag set up? Looking at a set of 15" rims for the rear with M/T ET Street Radial tires. What size tires would be a good fit? Looking at 295/55/15's or will this be overkill for my car. Will 15's work or am I going to need a spacer to clear the calipers?

Not really a high horsepower car but should I be worried about stuff breaking? Drive shafts? Rear end seems like it should be able to handle it I hope. Any other advice for a first timer would be greatly appreciated.

john11gt

Established Member
If its stick shift, go with a bias ply tire, theyre a lot more forgiving on the drivetrain and much easier to launch. Between the Mickey Thompson ET Streets and the Hoosier Quick Time Pro's, I went with the Hoosiers, they are 15 lbs lighter per tire, which is huge.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
one thing to keep in mind with tire size is what it does for your gearing and what RPM will look like crossing the line, there are calculators online that can help with that (put in transmission gear rations, rear end, tire size and shift/redline rpm) by showing max MPH in each gear.

I know its been mentioned on the mach 1 registry, there are only certain 15" wheels that will clear the rear brakes without significant grinding of the banjo bolt or moving to GT rear brakes.

The 10 spline input shaft of the 3650 would be the thing to watch out for. 31 spline axles and stock DS should all be fine but I would get a drive shaft loop (supposed to have one to be legal anyway...I like the stifflers 100% bolt in piece)

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
If its stick shift, go with a bias ply tire, theyre a lot more forgiving on the drivetrain and much easier to launch. Between the Mickey Thompson ET Streets and the Hoosier Quick Time Pro's, I went with the Hoosiers, they are 15 lbs lighter per tire, which is huge.

Is it correct I would have to get different front tires as well when using a bias ply tire? I have Nitto 555's up front and would like to be able to keep those.

Users who are viewing this thread