Dr. Colorchip paint touch-up

Live Wire

Established Member
Did a search and it came back with all of two threads regarding these guys, but they weren't recommending based on experience.

The site has before/afters and video demo's, but they're not exactly going to show failed repairs. Looking to clean up some road rash and orange peel while I save for a new bumper (have an Ohio originating car with license plate mount :nonono:). Just wondering if anyone used their product and what you thought about it. How well is it holding up?

Thanks!

Quasar Z

Established Member
I used it on my Mystic Gold Lexus and was not impressed with the results. I think I would have been more impressed if I had used it on a darker colored car. It didn't really fill the chips in and the smear technique they tell you to use leaves a lot a paint on the car that needs to be rubbed off.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I got the kit too, and on a black car leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't really fill the chips too well at all. U smear it on, and then the solution seems to take what smeared off, and what you put in the chip right along with it. Guess the only true way to make it look great again is a respray.

Live Wire

Established Member
I got the kit too, and on a black car leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't really fill the chips too well at all. U smear it on, and then the solution seems to take what smeared off, and what you put in the chip right along with it. Guess the only true way to make it look great again is a respray.

In one of their videos they smeared it on a couple chips and used the solution which appeared to take a lot of their paint back off... they addressed by saying you might have to do it again. Did you notice if the solution took off any of the clear coat or dulled the area at all? Not sure what its made of.

termin80r

Established Member
If youve go deep chips or scratches, its not gonna turn out right, my hood has some touch up paints on a couple chips, thanks to ford not scuffing the hood before being sprayed. from 5 feet away it looks flawless, upclose it looks terrible, im gonna have it resprayed when some funds are available.

POPPAJ

Established Member
I used the Dr kit on my black Marauder to fix 80-100 chips and an area of road rash with excellent results. I didn't exactly follow the directions, but here's what worked for me.

Wash down the area to be repaired with a mixture of Dawn and water, dry and polish. I used a porter cable with a orange pad and Optimum II polish. Wash again with Dawn, dry and wipe down with 30% alcohol and water. This should leave you with a clean, no wax surface(including chips)to work with. I didn't use the smear technique, got poor results. What I used was the fuzzy headed applicator that's included in the kit. Dabbed a spot of paint on each chip, let dry for 3-4 hours then used a piece of tee shirt backed up with a plastic card to which I applied the solution and rubbed on the repair till flush. On the road rash I applied the paint to a piece of blue shop towel and spread it over the area. Removal same as chip. There were a few areas that had to be done twice, but not many. To finish up I used the polisher and a white pad with the Optimum Polish II over the whole repair area to remove the dulling from the paint removal. No apparent damage to the clear coat.

This was part of an overall clean up that included the chip repair, two step polish, glaze and sealant.

GOOD LUCK!

Taz

Established Member
I used the Dr kit on my black Marauder to fix 80-100 chips and an area of road rash with excellent results. I didn't exactly follow the directions, but here's what worked for me.

Wash down the area to be repaired with a mixture of Dawn and water, dry and polish. I used a porter cable with a orange pad and Optimum II polish. Wash again with Dawn, dry and wipe down with 30% alcohol and water. This should leave you with a clean, no wax surface(including chips)to work with. I didn't use the smear technique, got poor results. What I used was the fuzzy headed applicator that's included in the kit. Dabbed a spot of paint on each chip, let dry for 3-4 hours then used a piece of tee shirt backed up with a plastic card to which I applied the solution and rubbed on the repair till flush. On the road rash I applied the paint to a piece of blue shop towel and spread it over the area. Removal same as chip. There were a few areas that had to be done twice, but not many. To finish up I used the polisher and a white pad with the Optimum Polish II over the whole repair area to remove the dulling from the paint removal. No apparent damage to the clear coat.

This was part of an overall clean up that included the chip repair, two step polish, glaze and sealant.

GOOD LUCK!

Good info. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

tnuce10

Established Member
I tried it on my dark blue 03 Mountaineer....left ALOT to be desired for me.

Its back in the box waiting for my next garage cleaning to be thrown away

Users who are viewing this thread