Downstream air temps/intercooler question...

GT500692

Established Member
So I just finished up putting a 2.8 KB on my car today. Took it for a spin and was sadly dissapointed. It does not seem to pull as hard on top as it should. When I was done flogging it around a little bit I checked my intercooler coolant. The fluid was cold as were both hoses. It is only about 45 degress here but shouldnt they be atleast luke warm? The pump is circulating coolant but seems to aerate the fluid. I have not data logged my car yet with the KB but I did with the TVS and 2.6" upper about a month ago. Same story with power loss and no top end. On the data logs at 55 degree ambiant temp I saw a high of 136 downstream and a low of just over 100 shortly after just starting the car. Seems this is high but what is everyone else seeing for downstream temps? I currently have no cooling mods and the IC has never been apart. Could I have an air pocket that is not allowing it to cool?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Sounds like there could be air in the line. The KB should pull you out of your seat.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
So I just finished up putting a 2.8 KB on my car today. Took it for a spin and was sadly dissapointed. It does not seem to pull as hard on top as it should. When I was done flogging it around a little bit I checked my intercooler coolant. The fluid was cold as were both hoses. It is only about 45 degress here but shouldnt they be atleast luke warm? The pump is circulating coolant but seems to aerate the fluid. I have not data logged my car yet with the KB but I did with the TVS and 2.6" upper about a month ago. Same story with power loss and no top end. On the data logs at 55 degree ambiant temp I saw a high of 136 downstream and a low of just over 100 shortly after just starting the car. Seems this is high but what is everyone else seeing for downstream temps? I currently have no cooling mods and the IC has never been apart. Could I have an air pocket that is not allowing it to cool?

You gotta burp it... Seems like air caught in the pump... The fluid should have a noticeable amount of turbulence within the resivoir when you look into it at idle...

Plus those temps seem pretty high for that ambient temp

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Established Member
Make sure that you put sealent on the back of the KB supercharger during install otherwise you could be loosing boost up top. Car should be pulling like a freight train and shouldn't be pulling any real timing with 135* intake temps

GT500692

Established Member
Bulldogger- I used sealent on the by pass valve but the rest of the KB kit uses o rings. And Iam seeing 15+ psi the whole way. The pump is causing turbulence in the resivoir to the point it creates foam. I think its an air bubble because when cold the coolant is way above the cold fill range. How could I get air in the system that has never been opened?

Bulldogger

Established Member
Bulldogger- I used sealent on the by pass valve but the rest of the KB kit uses o rings. And Iam seeing 15+ psi the whole way. The pump is causing turbulence in the resivoir to the point it creates foam. I think its an air bubble because when cold the coolant is way above the cold fill range. How could I get air in the system that has never been opened?

This worked for the SRT5 so give this a try. Locate the pump that moves the fluid through the heat exchanger and put a slight restriction on the rubber out going line, this will build a small amount of back pressure by reducing the flow and should allow the trapped air to be moved. As to how you got air in a closed system I don't know are you sure the pump is working correctly and it's not something else? I would think if you could let the car Idle and watch the bubble in the resivouir with the cap off that that alone would vent the system

GT500692

Established Member
Thats a good idea, ill try and jumper it and just let it run with the cap off. When it stops foaming the air should be out

Yellow Horse

Established Member

You shouldn't have removed any I/C lines so bleediing should not have been a problem. You would be suprised how quick the heat exchanger will cool your I/C coolant after a few minutes especially in cold weather.

My GT500 pulled 650 SAE but the car was heat soaked when we put it on the dyno and I am pretty sure they forgot to tunr on their fan. I took it out Sunday morning when iit ws in the low 40's. In third at 80 mph I could mash on the throttle and it would light the tires up.

I hope to dyno it in better conditions. I ordered a Moroso I/C reservoir to replace the stock reservoir. I'll fill it with water and iice when I dyn the next time. I am pretty sure I should see over 700.

Do you have any other mods, fuel/exhaust and are you running the KB out of the box tune?

GT500692

Established Member
Jon Lund tune, no other mods. What were your downstream temps? I havent had the IC lines opened at all ever. You would figure that the coolant would be warm with 130 downstream temps, mine was chilly cold

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Jon Lund tune, no other mods. What were your downstream temps? I havent had the IC lines opened at all ever. You would figure that the coolant would be warm with 130 downstream temps, mine was chilly cold

The shop where I dyno'd is old school. They are not up on new cars. They build outlaw cars. I'm not even sure if they could data log. They were dynoing an outlaw car when I got there and they were changing spacers on the carb to see what power they were getting.

I'm hoping to get it data logged tomorrow afternoon. This shop doesn't have a dyno, they schedule a portable Dynojet. I can't believe how hard t s to find a shop. Another wanted me to leave the car and another told me it took 3 hours to dyno. Geez.

I am sure my IAT's were as high as they could get. At least hope so.

I sent Jon an email last week about getting a tune but he never returned my email. I assume his answer was no.

When I had my 03 Cobra I thought the same thing one morning. I beat the mortal hell out of it on a 20 degree day and pulled over and the IC coolant was ice cold. After looking at it I found out the HE was cooling the coolant in a matter of a few seconds. I bet 45 degrees at 60 mph would suck off 80 degrees in a few seconds.

Last edited:

GT500692

Established Member
Jon takes some time to get back to you but he will. Let me know what you find for downstream temps. Im going to data log mine today if the 40 mph wind stops.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Jon takes some time to get back to you but he will. Let me know what you find for downstream temps. Im going to data log mine today if the 40 mph wind stops.

Are you running the 3-1/4" pulley?

Are you running the Stage 3 with the dual 75mm TB, Ford GT inlet and the big KB filter?

What year is your GT500?

Last edited:

GT500692

Established Member
Are you running the 3-1/4" pulley?

Are you running the Stage 3 with the dual 75mm TB, Ford GT inlet and the big KB filter?

What year is your GT500?

Im running the 3" pulley since iam at 5500' altitude. Yes I have the complete stage 3 kit and my car is a 2010. I bled some air out of my intercooler system and think I have it fixed! I just datalogged and am now seeing a high of 116 degrees under a hard 3rd gear pull. Feels much better! And go for the Lund tune my car drives better than it did stock. PS the KB whine is worth the price of admission alone

:rockon:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Im running the 3" pulley since iam at 5500' altitude. Yes I have the complete stage 3 kit and my car is a 2010. I bled some air out of my intercooler system and think I have it fixed! I just datalogged and am now seeing a high of 116 degrees under a hard 3rd gear pull. Feels much better! And go for the Lund tune my car drives better than it did stock. PS the KB whine is worth the price of admission alone

:rockon:

Why would your I/C system have air? Did you pull the reservor/lines to do the blower iinstall?

If you dyno on a Dynojet please post the sheet.

Hopefully my I/C reservoir will come in today and I can et them to data log my GT500 when I pick up the reservor.

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
Are you datalogging your "SparkAdance?" This is what I datalog in my Config. File:

AIRCHARGETEMP, coolanttemp, DOWNSTREAMACT, AirIntake, RPM & Spark Advance.

Spark Adance will show your total timing at WOT and as your Downstream temps go up under WOT no timing should be pulled to 135 degrees with Jon Lund tune...I'm guessing your total timing is around 17-19 degrees..... ?

GT500692

Established Member
Yes I data logged spark advance. Through third I see a max of 17.75. This is Jons safe tune not a custom tune. There are not any dynos around to test on. I asked Jon for a safe 91 octane tune and it fits the bill perfectly. The air in the system might have been a fluke as I have no explination for it. Today while datalogging I saw a max downstream of 100.8 degrees. Thats pretty darn good I think. The car pulls super hard. I did find a place that has 100 octane and mixed 91 and 100 right out of the pump so Iam going to run that with a more aggressive spark table. Probably carry a bottle of torco just in case I get stuck with 91 only sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread