Downstream air temp too hot?

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
I did a test and saw the temp was 154-162 is this too hot? Btw got 2.8 KB supporting mods at 662rwhp cai is an engine bay style. K&n.... Is it sucking in bay heat and should I get fender style cai like high boost?

image_zpsqzzcgmql.jpg

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If you were stuck in traffic and it got that high a cold air intake would help. If you just did a bunch of pulls it could also get high like that. If you were just cruising I would check and make sure your intercooler pump is functioning properly.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
Was doin normal cruisin maybe a few pulls around town but nothing crazy...as for pump its new just replaced it last month.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never seen mine go above 130*. But I avoid driving on very hot days. I would verify and check the pump even though it's almost new.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
While datalogging my email tune a week ago my downstreams were running 140-142° so the car was pulling timing over 120°. The PCM was doing it's job but I thought there might be a problem with the stock HE. At the car wash I sprayed the HE and radiator with bug and tar remover, pre-soak, high pressure wash, high pressure rinse and finally no spot rinse. Took the car home straightened out the HE fins and used my dental picks to remove rocks and anything else that could impede airflow. Lastly, I slowly added 4 ounces of Amsoil Coolant Boost to my IC tank while it was circulating. I generally don't like using additives but I wanted the temps down long enough to get the tune finished. During the last WOT pull my IATs logged at 112-116°. This is on the stock HE and IC tank with ported Eaton setup.

Cyclerick

Established Member
If your IAT2 was 154-160, what were your IAT1s? I always track the difference between the two. For example, yesterday when the temp was 90-95 here, my IAT1s were running slightly under 100 while my IAT2s were 119-123 while cruising, bearing in mind I'm running a Paxton with a 3.15 pulley and getting my IAT2s from the hottest spot at the back of the intake manifold. I also found that installing some hood vents lowered the difference between my IAT1s and IAT2s by 2-4 degrees.

Cyclerick

Established Member
My next step will be to insulate/foil wrap my CAI tubing to see if I can reduce the heat soak of the CAI tubing and thereby reduce the difference between my IAT1s and IAT2s.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
Did another test and it was around 132-134 cruising and then hit it hard, it went to 146 then Went back to cruise it was 132 again so I think I'm ok....for now

Dave.O

Established Member
From what I've read\heard 160+ is the official problem zone.

Can you elaborate on "problem zone"?

I was hitting 165-170 IAT2's while road coursing this past week during the last few laps of sessions, after WOT front/back straights. ambient temps were mid 90's, high humidity.
The car definitely felt like it was down in power vs early laps, is there any other threat other than PCM pulling timing?
I have afco double pass.

FYI, ported/pullied M122 2011 GT500 guy had no heat issues, actually said he was running with AC on....

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Can you elaborate on "problem zone"?

I was hitting 165-170 IAT2's while road coursing this past week during the last few laps of sessions, after WOT front/back straights. ambient temps were mid 90's, high humidity.
The car definitely felt like it was down in power vs early laps, is there any other threat other than PCM pulling timing?
I have afco double pass.

FYI, ported/pullied M122 2011 GT500 guy had no heat issues, actually said he was running with AC on....

What blower\pulley setup? If your on pump gas probably not much you can do in a situation like that other than maybe run some additive to increase octane to help stabilize things and hopefully avoid knock\detonation. Another option would be a killer chiller, although I'm not sure if they are intended to be ran non-stop for a 20-30 min track session.

Dave.O

Established Member
What blower\pulley setup? If your on pump gas probably not much you can do in a situation like that other than maybe run some additive to increase octane to help stabilize things and hopefully avoid knock\detonation. Another option would be a killer chiller, although I'm not sure if they are intended to be ran non-stop for a 20-30 min track session.

13 psi on 93 pump, stock lower, conservatively tuned

SVTDice

Established Member
I would most definitely get a fender well CAI. The cooler the air, the better. End of story.

Dave.O

Established Member
I would most definitely get a fender well CAI. The cooler the air, the better. End of story.

I thought CAI became a moot point once the car was moving...

especially if the air filter was "shielded" like a FIPK from engine bay heat and air wash, which is what I have...

Users who are viewing this thread