Downgrade to Foxbody?

Ford1288

Established Member
Hey guys, so I'm contemplating selling my BAB to get rid of a car payment and picking up a vert foxbody.

My Cobra is really nice, but I miss the grunt and simplicity of a foxbody. Anybody ever feel that way? I'm sure if I picked up some 4.10s the Cobra would actually move but we are talking 600+ dollars for something that probably hurts the value of the car. Sure I love the brakes, nice interior, etc, but overall I feel disappointed with the performance of my car for the price. And do I really want to throw a supercharger on a car that already has 96k miles?

What do you guys think? Am I retarded or do I have a point?

44082c74-715b-d71f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I'd go to a 94-95 before I went back to a fox.
I also don't believe 4:10s will hurt the value of a car. I had 4.30s in my 96 and it definitely had some grunt.

Also depends on how much you owe/time left on your loan. Me personally I'd dump it just to be out of a loan.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

b00stin

Established Member
in all honesty these cars aren't worth a whole lot.. i love my cobra and it is pretty simple to mod and work on... it can be expensive. you have to pay to play

boostedpimp

Slut lover
Established Member
Fox is gonna be cheaper in all aspects.. purchase, mod, maintain, and easier to work on.
With that comes less handling, noises but less weight.

I'd sell to get out of the loan as long as you don't take a bath on the deal

White96svt

Established Member
I love my cobra to death but even after putting a Vortech on it I still feel as though I'm missing something. I regret selling my old hatch every single day. My wife nor I want to get rid of the cobra so I'm now on the hunt to just pick up a fox coupe and enjoy the best of both worlds! :rockon:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Am I the only one that wouldn't think it's a downgrade? Dont get me wrong, youve got a beautiful BAB, but I love me a clean fox!

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
a FOX done the right way just might edge out your BAB. tough call man.......i hate decisions.
if you're getting out from under a loan with high interest, then do it and who knows what the future brings!!!

Ford1288

Established Member
Well I definitely wouldn't get what I have in the car of course but I would get enough to help cover the cost of a fox. Here is the one I am currently looking at, looks really clean but of course overpriced.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I love my car but it's just so expensive to get a lot of power out of. I also hate always having to worry about beating it up and putting miles on it. I want a car I can just drive.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/3199521526.html

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
I'm in the same boat man and I have a cobra that I'll prob end up selling for a fox a few diff reasons. Cars are cars so I say do what's best for your est interest.

Noreast

Established Member
I personally could never downgrade to a BOX...wait I mean FOX.
lmao at that quote.... personally imo i wouldnt sell that car to get somthing older. If anythink sell it and save until you can afford somthing newer.... Plus i would keep your car because you never see bab cobras so i would keep it becuase of its uniqueness..

4vRedone

Banned
i saw your car on craigslist man clean car did you fix the front bumper?

IMO i would keep your car i miss my 89 hatch very very much but after all the work and time ive put into my car i wouldnt trade it. Maybe later down the line ill pick up another but a notchback im not sure

Helomech74

Established Member
I own an 88 Fox and 2 98 Cobras, I would never consider my Fox to be a down grade at all, it's actually my preferred toy. With that being said though, I can't stand Fox verts, so in that aspect it would be a downgrade in my opinion. The cost to own a Fox body is no different then owning any other mustang out there especially when it comes to mods. Everyone has this delusional idea that modding a fox is so cheap compared to a mod motor, that's just not the case especially when using quality parts. The only difference I really see is that there are a bunch more choices in parts out there from super cheap chinese garbage to high end super dollar stuff. Hell, the new motor I'm building for my Coupe will most likely cost mid 20K before it's said and done.

Ford1288

Established Member
i saw your car on craigslist man clean car did you fix the front bumper?

IMO i would keep your car i miss my 89 hatch very very much but after all the work and time ive put into my car i wouldnt trade it. Maybe later down the line ill pick up another but a notchback im not sure

Not sure what's wrong with the front bumper, but no I haven't touched it. As you can tell I have been contemplating for awhile...

I do hear terrible things about foxbody verts. Really noisy and a pain in the butt. But I don't mind having an older car as long as it looks and runs good.

4vRedone

Banned
Not sure what's wrong with the front bumper, but no I haven't touched it. As you can tell I have been contemplating for awhile...

I do hear terrible things about foxbody verts. Really noisy and a pain in the butt. But I don't mind having an older car as long as it looks and runs good.

I thought the front bumper was cracked? oh well keep that BAB!!

GotJuice96

moneyMaker
Established Member
I personally think its a downgrade unless you get a supercharged notchback not a Convo . There ugly ass hell in my opinion ! Well at least the older one ! How much are you asking for your bab?

LDC2335

Established Member
Convertible fox body = ugly as hell

Find a low mileage one with some tasteful mods and it may be worth it. I dont think i could do it though. I vote keep what you have, unless its purely to get out of a loan

debo075

The big spoon
Established Member
Yikes. Only way I'd go vert fox over a stock Cobra is if it was a 7-Up or ASC in pristine, stock condition. And that is to say I mean a showable, weekend (with a megababe passenger) cruiser.

You're paying a mega premium for a clean looking, but otherwise stock Fox. Which will still need gears. Don't forget that the 5.0 will no doubt have 2.73s.

I have to agree with those who recommend the 4.XXs. This sounds like a grass-is-greener/boredom scenario to me, so if the 4.XXs don't do the trick - then get rid of it and go with the Fox. Worst case, you're out a few hundred (or yank them back out and swap them into the Fox :-D) and will know for sure that a 200 hp 5.0 is what you really want.

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
Laugh@ downgrade. I know what you probably mean, but that word doesn't fit to a foxbody.
I consider your mustang a downgrade to my fox. See what I'm saying. However, you could spend a small amount of cash and have fun, or go all out and have a blast.
Keep us posted! Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread