Dove Season

Panic661

Established Member
Atleast it was out where I'm at..

Anyone go? How'd you do?

I fired off about 3 boxes of shells, but only walked away with 3. Guess that's what I get for not picking up a shotgun in well over a year.

Dad ended up shooting 11 total, but lost three, somewhere in the grapes.

Grandpa shot 6.

My fiance, got nothing, however, she's out of practice, and always has been out of practice, and she's using a youth model 870 20 guage.. I'm hoping she'll get something this afternoon.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
we are leaving the office early friday to go hunting. Gonna go again saturday, and hopefully have a grill full for the Texas Tech v. SMU game here in Lubbock

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Atleast it was out where I'm at..

Anyone go? How'd you do?

I fired off about 3 boxes of shells, but only walked away with 3. Guess that's what I get for not picking up a shotgun in well over a year.

Dad ended up shooting 11 total, but lost three, somewhere in the grapes.

Grandpa shot 6.

My fiance, got nothing, however, she's out of practice, and always has been out of practice, and she's using a youth model 870 20 guage.. I'm hoping she'll get something this afternoon.

Do you eat the Doves?

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Are they good eating? I have about 20 mourning doves in my back yard every day at the bird feeders. They are so tame, I have been able to walk over and pick them up! Their wings make a whistling sound when they fly. At least I know they've been eating healthy food!

grendel

Established Member
hell yea they are good to eat, wrap them in bacon with some jalapeno and throw them on the grill. just watch out for shot.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
this is the time of year i LOVE being a farmer more than ever. i have over 6000 acres of farmlnad, some of it maize, for great dove hunting. am going out there later today and see if i can bag some.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Do you eat the Doves?

Ooooh yeah, they are tasty. Until you hit some buckshot, that kinda sucks. :lol1: I grew up with a dad and brother that hunted so we ate doves every season. I had to pluck the darn things, that was my job. They are small, so you need to cook quite a few at a time to make it worthwhile.

Panic, you need a bird dog!

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Everyone is so f'n stingy with their land here in NC it's almost impossible to hunt unless you were born here.

Last year I paid $20 to hunt a guys field and only got 3 shots.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Ooooh yeah, they are tasty. Until you hit some buckshot, that kinda sucks. :lol1: I grew up with a dad and brother that hunted so we ate doves every season. I had to pluck the darn things, that was my job. They are small, so you need to cook quite a few at a time to make it worthwhile.

Panic, you need a bird dog!

Ohh momma... Someone needs to show you how to clean a dove!

No plucking involved. Just thumb under the breast bone and peel it back. Toss the rest.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
pan cooked dove with biscuits and gravy FTMFW.

My dad is out shooting some as we speak.

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member
and the ONLY way to cook dove is you stuff a jalapeno inside the breast and wrap the outside in bacon, cover in bbq and grill.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Ohh momma... Someone needs to show you how to clean a dove!

No plucking involved. Just thumb under the breast bone and peel it back. Toss the rest.

Hiya Rodney!! Dang, what have you been up to?

All I know is that my momma liked to cook them with the skin on. And I did what my momma said to do! :p I know she cooked them in wine. Mmmm.

And I thought you could only hunt before sun-up and after sun-down? Or is that a dumb California law? Or do you guys just don't care? LOLOL

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member

All I know is that my momma liked to cook them with the skin on. And I did what my momma said to do! :p I know she cooked them in wine. Mmmm.

And I thought you could only hunt before sun-up and after sun-down? Or is that a dumb California law? Or do you guys just don't care? LOLOL

That is pretty much a law everywhere.

there are a few exceptions but doves are not one of them.

we used to go spotlight coyotes, jack rabbits and fox at night when i was younger. It is a great time. but only legal on private land with permission from the owner.

JBR87

Established Member
Damn I wish we had a dove season here in Ontario we're like the only guys who dont and they're everywhere... damn bird watchers

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Season opened in IL today as well....I was up in the air about going. Usually do every year but been seeing a few Geese flying over last couple days and all but talked myself into chasing them Saturday when early Canada Goose and Teal Season come in!

also x2 on the Dove and Bacon on grill! GREAT EATING!

PureStang

Established Member
Goose season just opened up here in PA. My roommates and one of their friend shot 22 geese (allowed 8 per person).

apparently they were set up in their blinds by 7.30, shot 20 by 7.45, 2 more by 8 and were cleaning them by 8.15.....they had a successful day. i dont have to go buy meat for a while.

i gotta do my gun safety still so i can go out with them.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Goose season just opened up here in PA. My roommates and one of their friend shot 22 geese (allowed 8 per person).

apparently they were set up in their blinds by 7.30, shot 20 by 7.45, 2 more by 8 and were cleaning them by 8.15.....they had a successful day. i dont have to go buy meat for a while.

i gotta do my gun safety still so i can go out with them.

WOW That'd be impressive numbers around this part....Last year was an amazing year and I think we might of killed around 25 the entire season! lol

Your only allowed 2 per person here. They just don't fly like the used to! Lake is usually froze up by the time they do get here so they don't stick around long!

03_SVT_Freak

Established Member

i dont know about other states, but Texas you can only hunt during the day and must stop 30 mins before sunset

Users who are viewing this thread