Double Din Screens

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
I know there are several Lightning owners on here that are running a double din radio setup in their trucks. What does everyone recommend that isn't outrageously expensive?
The things I really need to have with it are:
  • Touch Screen
  • Satellite Radio Compatability
  • iPod Compatability
  • Sleek Look (factory look really)
  • Ability to Use Factory Speakers
  • Would Like Navigation (not sure if that is possible in my price range...?)
  • <$500

The two main ones I have been looking at were...

JVC KW-AVX720 (Can be had for ~$400 shipped)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/JVC-KW-AVX720-Multi-Media-Satellite-Bluetooth/dp/B001PL5SUK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce]Amazon.com: JVC KW-AVX720 Double DIN Multi-Media with 7-Inch Wide Touch Panel Monitor, DVD/CD, iPod/iPhone USB 2.0, Satellite/HD Receiver/Bluetooth Ready: Electronics[/ame]

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD (Can be had for ~$400 shipped)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P4100DVD-Double-DIN-Multimedia-Widescreen/dp/B001PAECYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241621752&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD 7-Inch In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with Widescreen Display: Electronics[/ame]

If anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations, please throw it out there!

Thanks a ton,
-Tyler

LSUstang05

Established Member
I really like what Vince (vmorel1) has in his truck. He got it off eBay. Not sure exactly how much it was but it's awesome (I think it was close to $500). Green lights, snug fit, iPod compatibility (charges it also), bluetooth, and handsfree calling and song selection (say name of song and it plays it).

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I want one too, so I don't know what's the best. But I searched for the Pioneer on youtube and like the display.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNK2Hd2drV4&feature=PlayList&p=A81EF2E0E25D9C46&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1"]YouTube - Pioneer AVH-P4100dvd[/ame]

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
I really like what Vince (vmorel1) has in his truck. He got it off eBay. Not sure exactly how much it was but it's awesome (I think it was close to $500). Green lights, snug fit, iPod compatibility (charges it also), bluetooth, and handsfree calling and song selection (say name of song and it plays it).

That sounds like the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD. I've seen some videos of that where you just name a playlist or a song and it starts playing it...All hands free. I'm wondering if the AVH-P4100DVD is the same thing but a full touch screen instead of the knob and all on the left...? I would really prefer a full touch screen with no knobs or anything...It looks a LOT smoother with just a screen :thumbsup:

vmorel1

Established Member
Thanks for the plug Jordan lol (shouldn't you be studying?? Oh wait, I should be too haha)....Yeah I actually have the avic-f90BT. It comes with navigation and a bluetooth setup so you can basically use it as your phone when you're in the truck. It is pretty amazing but, after having it for a while, I've realized that I don't really need the navigation and barely ever use the bluetooth. However, it is still the nicest unit I've ever used and has an amazing operating system. I got it for like $600 a while back but now theyre on ebay for $560 shipped. Here you go: NEW~PIONEER PREMIER AVIC-F90BT CAR NAVIGATION iPOD 5.8" - eBay (item 120396839716 end time May-23-09 11:19:14 PDT)

I just installed an avh-4100dvd in my friends F-150 and it was a really nice unit as well, especially for the price you can get them for. It's interface was a little bit behind the f90bt's but it was definitely still good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 4100dvd if I was just looking for a headunit to play cds, radio, and have control of my ipod. (We did find out that you have to buy another $40 cable to play videos from your ipod for the avh-4100dvd).

Between the two you posted, definitely go for the Pioneer :rockon:

Last edited:

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
Thanks for the plug Jordan lol (shouldn't you be studying?? Oh wait, I should be too haha)....Yeah I actually have the avic-f90BT. It comes with navigation and a bluetooth setup so you can basically use it as your phone when you're in the truck. It is pretty amazing but, after having it for a while, I've realized that I don't really need the navigation and barely ever use the bluetooth. However, it is still the nicest unit I've ever used and has an amazing operating system. I got it for like $600 a while back but now theyre on ebay for $560 shipped. Here you go: NEW~PIONEER PREMIER AVIC-F90BT CAR NAVIGATION iPOD 5.8" - eBay (item 120396839716 end time May-23-09 11:19:14 PDT)

I just installed an avh-4100dvd in my friends F-150 and it was a really nice unit as well, especially for the price you can get them for. It's interface was a little bit behind the f90bt's but it was definitely still good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 4100dvd if I was just looking for a headunit to play cds, radio, and have control of my ipod. (We did find out that you have to buy another $40 cable to play videos from your ipod for the avh-4100dvd).

Between the two you posted, definitely go for the Pioneer :rockon:

I didn't realize that one had navigation...Now you've got me thinking. The only thing that's really pushing me away from it is the knob and all on the left. I would really prefer an all screen setup. But at that price...:bash:

save up and get yourself a Kenwood DNX 8120 like mine. IT IS AMAZING! but double your price range.

As nice as that would be, I really can't justify throwing that many Benjamins at a screen. Would be nice, though!

volcomsurf76

Mr.Awesome
Established Member
i have the pioneer 4000, its a quality piece and i like mine a lot. i wish i got one with NAV but for the price you cant beat it. looks super clean too.

jec1521

Jay
Established Member

I was just going to post that. I have the F900 and it's awesome. Very, very OEM looking. Here's mine:

IMG_0175.jpg

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
i need to get one. i dont like the look of my alpine unit. plus i want the navigation.

jec aren't you the one with the svt splash screen?

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
I have the AVIC-F90BT too and I love it.
the voice controls are freaking cool, can surf my ipod with just the sound of my voice and make calls also by just telling the name or the number you want to call:rockon:

expymod018.jpg

avicf90007.jpg

avicf90006.jpg

here is a small dumb vid I made of the voice recognition
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23EXrOgLFM"]YouTube - testing ipod voice recognition on AVIC F-90BT[/ame]

Last edited:

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
I just picked up an Eclipse AVN-6620 from crutchfield while on a sale. Came with the blue tooth module too. I havent gotten around to installing it yet, but it does have pretty high end stats. Like a 5v preamp voltage and Navtech Navigation. Eclipse is the brand that Lexus uses in all their cars for factory headunits as well. I dont know how many they have left but I got it for 749 with the Ipod interface. It was originally a $1300 head unit last year.

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
Thanks for everyone's input!
Also, another thing. I have the factory 6-disc changer that is behind the passenger's seat. Is there any way I could still utilize this?
Also, instead of hooking up an actual iPod, is there a way to upload the music to the double din setup itself? I was thinking instead of having to hook my iPhone up to it, maybe I could just upload the music directly to it and use that? Or even an external hard drive to hook up to it? Not really sure if that made sense or not, but...

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
Thanks for everyone's input!
Also, another thing. I have the factory 6-disc changer that is behind the passenger's seat. Is there any way I could still utilize this?
Also, instead of hooking up an actual iPod, is there a way to upload the music to the double din setup itself? I was thinking instead of having to hook my iPhone up to it, maybe I could just upload the music directly to it and use that? Or even an external hard drive to hook up to it? Not really sure if that made sense or not, but...

The Avic F-series has USB input and SD card input. So you can use a thumbdrive to store music.

Also, the Avic Z-Series has a built in hard drive to put music onto.

skipthedrummer

Established Member
Word of advice, its a total pain in the ass to install. I have a pioneer double din and I had to fab up my own mounting bracket. Its not to hard, but do keep in mind that its more than just a single din install.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
Word of advice, its a total pain in the ass to install. I have a pioneer double din and I had to fab up my own mounting bracket. Its not to hard, but do keep in mind that its more than just a single din install.

not if you get the right mounting kit, took me all of 5 min to install mine, the longer/harder part was the little bit of cutting on the back frame/hole to make the unit fit.

Users who are viewing this thread