Double Checking everything for my E85 Nitrous Setup - Advice?

EricM

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm finally getting my nitrous setup together. This is the first time I've ever run nitrous, so I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it correctly. The goal is to spray a 150 while retaining my E85 that I use on my motor tune.

I've got a nitrous outlet plate kit, and I was told to jet it to .62 and then use a .42 for a fuel jet. Does that sound right?

I've got a ZEX automatic bottle heater, an NOS mini progressive controller, a purge kit, and purchased a 40a Kenne Bell BAP. I've already got 47# injectors. Is there anything else you guys would recommend to a first timer?

Rev Auto is sending me a nitrous file for a 100 shot and told me to remove another 2* of global spark for the 150.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
42 fuel jet might be a bit large. I know someone who had a 41, granted they had more modifications, my car seemed like a smaller jet .039/.038 I would deff buy those jets and datalog to see what the car likes.

Gap your plugs down. Some say .35 some say .32 some say. .30, start at .35 and work your way down to whatever the car likes.

NGK 6510's wouldn't hurt either.

EricM

Established Member
42 fuel jet might be a bit large. I know someone who had a 41, granted they had more modifications, my car seemed like a smaller jet .039/.038 I would deff buy those jets and datalog to see what the car likes.

Gap your plugs down. Some say .35 some say .32 some say. .30, start at .35 and work your way down to whatever the car likes.

NGK 6510's wouldn't hurt either.

I forgot to mention I've got a set of 6510's in the car, although I'm not sure what they're gapped to. I'll confirm that tonight.

I was sort of thinking the same thing on the fuel jet, I think it's going to be too rich. Especially since our E85 is usually around 78% here. I'll pick up some extra jets this afternoon.

I appreciate the help everyone. I know that there are tons of these threads laying around, I just want to hear some opinions.

EricM

Established Member
It's a manual car. 2014 GT track pack with 3.73's. I've got a set of 28" ET streets as well, they work OK for the street.

Does anyone have some suggestions on the progressive controller? I'm not sure what I'm doing there.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Bump, I've been hearing that 47# injectors and a BAP isn't enough for E85 and a 150...

Why would it not be? as long as you jet for the e85. the BAP should flow enough fuel for 600rwhp easy.

EricM

Established Member
Bump this. Nitrous is being installed in the car now. My tuner is telling me that any shot over 75 on e85 dramatically drains the fuel rails. Anyone experienced this?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Bump this. Nitrous is being installed in the car now. My tuner is telling me that any shot over 75 on e85 dramatically drains the fuel rails. Anyone experienced this?

Who is your tuner? Has he monitored this?

According to my fuel trims I don't think so.

Juic3d ran more bottles through his car than a few members combined would ever run through theirs.Granted he was running a BAP. But I have not come across this issue and I am BAPless.

EricM

Established Member
Adam Browne at Rev Auto is my tuner. He said that there was a big lean hit on the one he tuned whenever it went to a 100. Fuel trims added 12% and the knock sensors pulled 10 degrees of timing until it smoothed out at around 4500rpms.

I was wondering if my progressive controller could help solve this?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Adam Browne at Rev Auto is my tuner. He said that there was a big lean hit on the one he tuned whenever it went to a 100. Fuel trims added 12% and the knock sensors pulled 10 degrees of timing until it smoothed out at around 4500rpms.

Don't think thats a pressure drop situation. Most likely 55 psi fuel trying to outrun 1000 psi of nitrous. I'm sure a better fuel system or BAP would help. Progressive will also help.

I think I may be a guinea pig and do a real test with good logs of how I have my setup currently then with the nitrous noid mounted in the trunk.

Fwiw, my car does not knock, it actually adds timing.

EricM

Established Member
Are you on E85 Smm? I guess the extra fuel volume is what causes the issue.

I've got a KenneBell BAP, and 47# injectors. The nitrous kit is being finished this afternoon and then it's off to the dyno tomorrow.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this problem, since my tuner was recommending I stay below a 100 shot.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Are you on E85 Smm? I guess the extra fuel volume is what causes the issue.

I've got a KenneBell BAP, and 47# injectors. The nitrous kit is being finished this afternoon and then it's off to the dyno tomorrow.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this problem, since my tuner was recommending I stay below a 100 shot.

Juic3d has the most street/strip testing and he apparently never had an issue on any size shot, he was also running a BAP.

dennisn

Established Member

I had this exact same thing happen. Drained the fuel rails anything over a 75 shot. I do have kb bap. He did mention a progressive may work. I'm curious to see what others are doing.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Sounds like your tuner doesn't know what he's doing regarding nitrous.

I ran a 62N (150 shot) and E85 for a long time with no issues regarding pressure drop, knock sensor pulling timing, etc etc.. car ran like a raped ape and never skipped a beat.

Assuming your kit is setup properly, there's no reason why you should have an issue with a 75 or 100 shot on stock pump and 47# injectors.

It's all in the tune.

The fact that your knock sensor is pulling 10* and adding 12% fuel (short terms 1.12?) when the nitrous comes in tells me it's probably detonating like crazy and won't likely last very long on the current tune-up. It's hard to say what it's doing w/o a log but that is just a shot in the dark.

If I were you, I would eliminate all the extra fancy stuff and get the tune correct before trying to add in a progressive or anything else. The less variables the better..

Good luck!

EricM

Established Member
Sounds like your tuner doesn't know what he's doing regarding nitrous.

I ran a 62N (150 shot) and E85 for a long time with no issues regarding pressure drop, knock sensor pulling timing, etc etc.. car ran like a raped ape and never skipped a beat.

Assuming your kit is setup properly, there's no reason why you should have an issue with a 75 or 100 shot on stock pump and 47# injectors.

It's all in the tune.

The fact that your knock sensor is pulling 10* and adding 12% fuel (short terms 1.12?) when the nitrous comes in tells me it's probably detonating like crazy and won't likely last very long on the current tune-up. It's hard to say what it's doing w/o a log but that is just a shot in the dark.

If I were you, I would eliminate all the extra fancy stuff and get the tune correct before trying to add in a progressive or anything else. The less variables the better..

Good luck!
View attachment 125shot.zip Here is a log of the 125 shot letting it all go in at once. Nitrous hits at 3800 and ends at 7100.

My car wasn't the one that was having the issue pulling timing, my tuner said it was another car with that problem.

Would you say it's safe to bump it up more?

EricM

Established Member
You can see it go pretty lean around 4k. Hits nearly 13.8 AFR's but quickly recovers.

It also seems fairly fat up top. I wonder if that's hurting power.

Users who are viewing this thread