DOT 4 Brake Fluid question

Mike Gnolfo

Gimme Fuel
Established Member
Bleeding brakes tommorrow on the Terminator

I got some ATE Superblue DOT 4 fluid laying around, can I use that or do I have to use the Motorcraft DOT 3 for the Terminator?

All suggestions welcome!

MG

metaman

Established Member
Isn't DOT4 fluid silicone based? If so then you will have to use the motorcraft stuff unless you plan on doing a full fledged flush. I just flushed mine out all the way with fresh motorcraft fluid.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Isn't DOT4 fluid silicone based? If so then you will have to use the motorcraft stuff unless you plan on doing a full fledged flush. I just flushed mine out all the way with fresh motorcraft fluid.

Silicone based brake fluid is DOT 5.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
You should plan on doing a full flush anyways. You said you had this fluid "laying around". If that means the can had been opened, then I wouldn't use it. I make it a practice to never leave a partial can of brake fluid "laying around". Once opened, the entire can should be used. Brake fluid should be flushed every 1 or 2 years IMO.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You should plan on doing a full flush anyways. You said you had this fluid "laying around". If that means the can had been opened, then I wouldn't use it. I make it a practice to never leave a partial can of brake fluid "laying around". Once opened, the entire can should be used. Brake fluid should be flushed every 1 or 2 years IMO.

While I agree 100% that any unused but open brake fluid should not be used in the car, keeping it around for other reasons IS a good idea. I don't know of anything that cleans better than brake fluid LOL!

Mike Gnolfo

Gimme Fuel
Established Member
All done! I had 2 cans unopened sitting on my shelf in the garage b/c I was putting it off for awhile..

Thanks for your input:beer:

SpectorV

Established Member
This reminds me I need to flush mine... I did a break swap and flushed half of it... but I need to flush it all.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
While I agree 100% that any unused but open brake fluid should not be used in the car, keeping it around for other reasons IS a good idea. I don't know of anything that cleans better than brake fluid LOL!
I agree with you. It's especially good at paint removal. Anyone who has ever spilled some on their fender knows this to be true. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread