Door Ding Fix

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Hey guys, what is your recommendation for repairing a door ding? There is no dent, just the clear coat chipped off to the base paint. Is there any advantage to having a body shop fix this or can a detailer do just as good a job? Also, what would you expect the cost of repair to be in CA? Any and all suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

-norcal_cobra

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
norcal:

The best thing to do would be try to buff it out. It won't be perfect, but try to learn to live with it. I know it's hard, we all hate when our 'babies' get owies.

The alternative is probably a couple hundred bucks. It sucks, but unless you know someone that can do it for you on the side, that's about the going rate. :??:

You could take a body shop class at the local community college and then you'll be set for life!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. 03DOHC, what is Langka? Is it readily available at an auto parts store like Pep Boys?

-norcal_cobra

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Langka is a creamy material that dissolves the dried blob of touch-up paint without affecting the factory (cured) paint. It is applied using a cloth stretched over a plastic card so it takes away the blob and smooths the touch-up level with the existing paint. Works well, but is sometimes tricky on metal-flake paint (sigh, I have the Silver Metallic).

There is a Mother's product labeled "using Langka technology" that I bought in a local auto supply store, but I found that the stuff from Langka (www.langka.com on the web) works better. Some tricks:

1) Remove all wax first (pre-paint degreaser or Dawn)
2) Temperature above 60 degrees
3) Fine-pointed brush
4) Stir the clearcoat thoroughly before applying
5) Allow to dry 12 hours
6) Smooth cloth (like a bedsheet) wrapped around the little plastic card ( a rough cloth dips into the blob and pulls the paint out of the chip)
7) Rub lighltly and let the Langka do it's job.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
Langka is a creamy material that dissolves the dried blob of touch-up paint without affecting the factory (cured) paint. It is applied using a cloth stretched over a plastic card so it takes away the blob and smooths the touch-up level with the existing paint. Works well, but is sometimes tricky on metal-flake paint (sigh, I have the Silver Metallic).

There is a Mother's product labeled "using Langka technology" that I bought in a local auto supply store, but I found that the stuff from Langka (www.langka.com on the web) works better. Some tricks:

1) Remove all wax first (pre-paint degreaser or Dawn)
2) Temperature above 60 degrees
3) Fine-pointed brush
4) Stir the clearcoat thoroughly before applying
5) Allow to dry 12 hours
6) Smooth cloth (like a bedsheet) wrapped around the little plastic card ( a rough cloth dips into the blob and pulls the paint out of the chip)
7) Rub lighltly and let the Langka do it's job.
That about sums it up!:beer:

I ordered my Langka on-line. Clicky. Costs 20 bucks. And don't forget 1 bottle of factory touch up paint. It's not perfect, but does a pretty good job if you take your time and follow the directions.

Users who are viewing this thread