Don't shoot me or murder me with a axe - My Coyote Swapped GT500

Fuerig

Established Member
Well.... this should make some people angry.

I sold my Shelby engine and did a coyote swap. I plan on adding a GEN 2 TVS and running about 16lbs of boost after I forge my internals until I forge the bottom end I'll run 8lbs of boost to be safe. I sold my Shelby engine because I had broken the crankshaft and didn't feel like fixing the problem. I realize that I am now a bastard red headed Shelby but I can't wait to run some GT's and hear their excuse " oh well you have a 5.4 supercharged engine ( giggles ) " . I could be wrong but I also believe I will have less weight on the nose of my car with the coyote swap. I have pictures of the whole process that I will be posting and updating this thread with. I could also be wrong on this next statement but I believe I might be one of the first idiots to put a coyote in a Shelby GT500. If I was to ever trade in my Shelby hardly anyone would notice that its not a 5.4 and the TVS will make it look almost identical with the exception of valve covers :) . I am now a 5.0L Cobra !!! Not many people should murder me seeing as how the Cobra Jet has a option for a 5.0L engine. Ok now that I am sure I am raised a few blood pressures ... thoughts and opinions?

Attachments

• lrs-9434b_2797.jpg
    lrs-9434b_2797.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,447

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
YOU SON OF A B****!.... Naw just kidding... Its your car and if you want to be the first to do something or take a new path then by all means do it. I will say that you probably did save some weight on the nose of the car and that will help on speed of the car but unless you are using a built engine and making serious power that you did hamper your self in the power department. Once you get it built up and its pushing serious power im curious to see how it would compare to a 5.4 with similar power.

Just be aware that you basically took what made a Shelby out and turned you car into a GT with a VIN for Shelby and Snakes on the side. There will be plenty of people that will try to tell you its not a Shelby anymore.

Fuerig

Established Member
YOU SON OF A B****!.... Naw just kidding... Its your car and if you want to be the first to do something or take a new path then by all means do it. I will say that you probably did save some weight on the nose of the car and that will help on speed of the car but unless you are using a built engine and making serious power that you did hamper your self in the power department. Once you get it built up and its pushing serious power im curious to see how it would compare to a 5.4 with similar power.

Just be aware that you basically took what made a Shelby out and turned you car into a GT with a VIN for Shelby and Snakes on the side. There will be plenty of people that will try to tell you its not a Shelby anymore.

As far as limiting power I am ok with that as I only plan to eventually top out at 900rwhp ( combination of boost, maybe a little 50 shot, and some meth) . TO the people that argue its not a Shelby I went through a hell of a time converting all the exterior and all of the interior to making it perfect except for the engine lol. The hardest part of the conversion was changing my VIN to a shelby Vin number :)

Fuerig

Established Member
One day I might get extremely bored and toss the Gen 2 TVS to the side and go with a nice TT coyote setup. I believe the possibilities there will only be limited by the amount of cash on hand.

Fuerig

Established Member
Got any photos of the failure?

I took a few from outside of the timing cover. It didn't shear the key way. I am assuming that my oil pump seized the crank momentarily and snapped the snout off.

Based off your questions is there a known issue that you are trying to make me aware of?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it have been more cost effective to just get a frpp shelby block or a boss 302 motor? Seems like by the time you spend all the money forging the gt motor the others could have handled more power easier.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I try to keep track of failures on the S197 cars with respect to both aftermarket as well as OEM parts. The crank failures have been an interesting study. If yours didn't fail at the keyway my guess would be it failed aft of the keyway at the undercut fillet, similar to this failure...

attachment.php

Fuerig

Established Member
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it have been more cost effective to just get a frpp shelby block or a boss 302 motor? Seems like by the time you spend all the money forging the gt motor the others could have handled more power easier.

Sold my motor for $6500 , bought a used coyote w/ 38k miles for 3500 shipped to my door ( complete with all accessories and wiring harness). The other 3 grand plus whatever I kick in will go to forging and Gen 2 TVS. Worse case scenario I am out of pocket about $2-3k. Since I am putting a Gen 2 TVS I only need the tuner kit from VMP which includes intake manifold, supercharger, and a special mounting bracket. My shelby is already equipped with everything else including dual pass H/E and everything else that comes with their kit.

irontexan

Established Member
Took a Shelby and turned it into a GT with a body kit and stickers... To each there own, but it seems like a move in the wrong direction. You could always put GT body panels on it and complete the conversion.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
OP, how much did you pay for your Shelby? Was it an "R" title? If it was, then what you did "kind" of makes sense, but .... :??:

I never liked anything aftermarket when it comes to harmonic balancers. They are there for a reason, and are heavy for a reason. There isn't a shop in the world that has the resources, that Ford has at their disposal, in developing an engine part as critical as a harmonic balancer.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Sold my motor for $6500 , bought a used coyote w/ 38k miles for 3500 shipped to my door ( complete with all accessories and wiring harness). The other 3 grand plus whatever I kick in will go to forging and Gen 2 TVS. Worse case scenario I am out of pocket about $2-3k. Since I am putting a Gen 2 TVS I only need the tuner kit from VMP which includes intake manifold, supercharger, and a special mounting bracket. My shelby is already equipped with everything else including dual pass H/E and everything else that comes with their kit.

I think your math is a little off, with the 3k you have left the vmp kits for the gt go for 6-8k. Unless you want to be stuck at 600-650whp you will need to dump another 7-10k into that motor to make it handle shelby power levels. Yes, all the crank failures seen have been with some type of aftermarket balancer. I wouldn't swap mine out without a double key wayed crank.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
You didn't want to replace a broken crank on your 5.4, but you're going to make the coyote motor capable of 900hp?

Fuerig

Established Member
I think your math is a little off, with the 3k you have left the vmp kits for the gt go for 6-8k. Unless you want to be stuck at 600-650whp you will need to dump another 7-10k into that motor to make it handle shelby power levels. Yes, all the crank failures seen have been with some type of aftermarket balancer. I wouldn't swap mine out without a double key wayed crank.

Yes a Complete Coyote Kit is 6-8k. I am purchasing just the intake manifold and a Gen 2 TVS. I have everything else. Plenty of Coyote's are running great numbers without 7-10k in motor work :) Non forged twin turbo Coyotes are putting 650whp on 6lbs of boost

Fuerig

Established Member
OP, how much did you pay for your Shelby? Was it an "R" title? If it was, then what you did "kind" of makes sense, but .... :??:

I never liked anything aftermarket when it comes to harmonic balancers. They are there for a reason, and are heavy for a reason. There isn't a shop in the world that has the resources, that Ford has at their disposal, in developing an engine part as critical as a harmonic balancer.

Nothing wrong with a purist and my shelby is not a rebuilt or salvage title car lol.

Users who are viewing this thread