Don't powder coat a used whipple

adova

Established Member
Long story short, I was thinking about powder coating my 2.3 Whipple. I called Whipple to ask them for recommendations as far as disassembly and reassembly of the unit. Bottom line is that the entire unit should be broken down as the seals inside would not go well with the heat involved in PC. After that point, you need to send to Whipple for reassembly.

Additionally, they tell me that a used unit will have oils and other contaminants in pores of the casting that will make it tough to get a good PC adhesion. Their recommendation, high temp paint...

I was writing this just as an FYI, but if someone has a go to High Temp Paint to recommend, please let me know!

Soap

Established Member
Bottom line is that the entire unit should be broken down as the seals inside would not go well with the heat involved in PC.

That is not just a Whipple recommendation, that stands for anything that gets coated. Only thing that goes in the oven should be metal. If you are doing calipers...they need to get completely disassembled. If you are doing an axle housing...it needs to get completely disassembled. You get the idea.

--Joe

adova

Established Member
yep. I have been looking at the VHT products. I may just take Whipple and Valve covers to a wrinkle black. The previous owner did everything orange, which was just a bit too much for my tastes.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Just my opinion. You should be able to clean the case to the point that you can powder coat it. People pull off all the engine components and PC them. What's the difference between a Valve cover, timing cover, pulley bridge, etc and that supercharger case? I think they are full of it. Complete disassembly sound right though. I hear that reassembly of these is not that difficult. There are also some other shops that could do it for you cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread