Dont let this part destroy your coyote engine!! The problem and the fix >>>>

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR has had a overwhelming # of calls from engine builders and customers across the country with broken/failed lower crankshaft sprockets. It seems the majority have been those with upgraded camshafts but many have also been stock applications. We even received a call from a MMR dealer (BBR) who had even broke 2 on the same engine. When this part breaks catastrophic failure is certain (bent valves, damaged pistons,cylinder heads etc). MMR went to work quickly on a solution and are now selling the MMR Billet Steel gear. This gear replaces the factory powdered metal gear directly with no other changes, the MMR gears are manufactured from billet 9310 heat treated material and precision made in the US by MMR. If you are building aftermarket engine, have a Ford Racing Aluminator, or rebuilding a coyote engine you need one of these!!! This is the only gear proven to handle 10,000+ RPM, 2000+ HP and 6 second quarter mile! Retail on the Billet steel gears is $239. Order here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=579

Dont let this happen to you:

broken%20coyote%20gear.jpg

The new MMR Billet gear

467891X_.jpg

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
Nice piece, and yeah it's probably stronger than the factory one but you make it sound like Rome is burning again, and now it's the crank gear...

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've never heard of this failing?

Unfortunately this is what many said about the oil pump gear, MMR is at the center of the coyote industry with engine comings into and out of our facility on a daily basis, we speak with customers and other race teams routinely and this has become a common problem. Most are unaware that their lower gear is cracked because the chain will hold it together until they fail catastrophically. Unfortunately like the oil pump gear this information will become more widespread as the # of failures increase. We are hoping to save some members some expensive failures before it is too late.

Elwood617

Established Member
Unfortunately this is what many said about the oil pump gear, MMR is at the center of the coyote industry with engine comings into and out of our facility on a daily basis, we speak with customers and other race teams routinely and this has become a common problem. Most are unaware that their lower gear is cracked because the chain will hold it together until they fail catastrophically. Unfortunately like the oil pump gear this information will become more widespread as the # of failures increase. We are hoping to save some members some expensive failures before it is too late.

Good on you for getting ahead of a problem :)

CPRsm

Nice piece, and yeah it's probably stronger than the factory one but you make it sound like Rome is burning again, and now it's the crank gear...
I know of a few personally. The shops that break them, aren't going to rush on here to say "look what we did" for fear of internet yammering about who broke their engine when it was out of their hands.

D.T.R

Established Member
That looks like a nice product.
Like others have said, i have never heard of the crank sprocket breaking like that, but i can totally understand why... as I've seen many things being kept on the low for the fear that CPR mentioned.

hand-filer

Established Member
I know of a few personally. The shops that break them, aren't going to rush on here to say "look what we did" for fear of internet yammering about who broke their engine when it was out of their hands.

Break them during installation or while in use?

Bud

Established Member
if you look at previous year sprockets, they are about twice as thick, chains are thicker too.

I've heard of the sprockets failing, you hear of any chains failing on their own (not due to something else letting go). Crazy what the stock stuff has held up to for abuse.

olaosunt

Established Member
I am about to put in the MMR boss long block you guys built for me.
Many thanks again.
As you may recall the crankshaft broke on my old alluminator and I did have the ford racing exhaust cams.Could this have prevented that failure?
Is this part on that long block? Or can I order and add it before putting in the engine?

D.T.R

Established Member
Many thanks again.
As you may recall the crankshaft broke on my old alluminator and I did have the ford racing exhaust cams.Could this have prevented that failure?
Is this part on that long block? Or can I order and add it before putting in the engine?
how did the crank break on your aluminator? you had aftermarket cams?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Many thanks again.

Thank you for your order! In regards to your engine this item is not installed, they are available to the public starting next week and will be an option on all MMR shortblocks and longblocks thereafter, let us know if you would like to order one, our sales dept is taking orders for them now (we have 47 pre orders thus far)

Users who are viewing this thread