Don't fear the gear!!! (4.56's)

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
I just wanted to let everybody know in this forum that I've been DD'ing 4.56's for over a year now with no issues.... I love the gear and no it's not too much!

I hope to have some vids in the future here since I got a GoPro a few months ago.

Forget 4.10's people and get 4.56's if your staying NA :beer:

-Mike

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Lol, thanks for the reminder. But if you don't fear the gear, why didn't you just go balls out and get 5.14's :rolling:

If I were to do it again I might consider 4.30's instead of 4.10's but I plan on installing a centri one of these years, so 4.10's are probably ideal for me.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Lol, thanks for the reminder. But if you don't fear the gear, why didn't you just go balls out and get 5.14's :rolling:

If I were to do it again I might consider 4.30's instead of 4.10's but I plan on installing a centri one of these years, so 4.10's are probably ideal for me.

Haha, 4.56's are perfect for the strip. Some go 4.88's with a 28" tire, but people have seen better results with 4.56's and a 26" tire. If I add NOS or a supercharger in the futre I'll probably change my gears if I need to, but until then I'll keep having fun :burnout:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've had 4:30's in my car for the last 8 years and enjoyed every minute of it. Although now I have an eaton on the car first gear is kind of a joke!

trxcobra

Established Member
I have 4.10s in my car and I like them, but I think it would be an animal with 4.56's. I think driving on the highway would be kind of aggravating though since I feel like its already kind of annoying with my gears

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I'm going to do 4.30's around tax time... When I use the nitrous I will just wait until 2nd to grab the kit. I have never done gears in a car, but from my experience with doing them in jeeps and mud trucks, it makes a HUGE difference. Cant wait!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
if woulda stayed na I would went 4.56s for sure...drove a 430 car a few times and the were ok

I have 3.73s in my 01 with the KB. works great cuz I am north of 6k in the traps in 4th

zPipes

Established Member
Cant really say this for a fact. DD's are different for everybody. I drive 35 highway miles each way. At 75mph, for 40 mins, twice a day, 456s will kill the motor.

Its not a matter of fearing the gear, its a matter of knowing the right application for a given situation.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Cant really say this for a fact. DD's are different for everybody. I drive 35 highway miles each way. At 75mph, for 40 mins, twice a day, 456s will kill the motor.

Its not a matter of fearing the gear, its a matter of knowing the right application for a given situation.

+1

My set up doesn't have a need for steep gears. If the current plans come through my 3.27's should be perfect actually.

OW99

Established Member
Driving for 40 mins at 3000 rpms will not kill the motor. I drive 450 highway miles every 2 weeks at 3000 rpms. And I do not have a single issue. Plus I have 130k on the clock.

zPipes

Established Member
At 80 you would be pushin 32-3300 rpms. Thats alot of movement for a long period of time on a powerful motor. I wouldnt be comfortable with that. thats almost half of redline for 40 mins straight. That just cant be good for it.

99MystiC

Established Member
Do not worry about long drives at high rpms. I drove my 99 cross country when i moved at 3k most of the way. Motor still runs with no issues and its a drag car now. These motors will be fine at higher rpms.

Users who are viewing this thread