Don't ask don't tell repeal question

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
One of my soldiers came up to me the other day and asked, "Hey sarge, if they repeal don't ask, don't tell, will those legally married in lawful states be authorized BAH?"

I said :shrug:

I thought that was a pretty good question i haven't seen discussed. For anyone that dosen't know what BAH is, its the military's housing allowance for those with families.

So what's ur take on it?

usmcrebel

Established Member
if it is repealed i would imagine you could only get BAH where gay marriage is legal. which is what 2 states

usmcrebel

Established Member
If you get married in any state you can PCS and get BAH for a different state so:shrug:

but that is because it is recognized as marriage in that state from what i understand, BUT THEN AGAIN you on federal property, so i guess if you live on base you could, but if off post i guess it might depend on state

usmcrebel

Established Member
Just b/c some retarded gay activist judge says "this isn't following our constitution doesn't mean that it's removed from the books. Congress has to repeal it.

TaraFirma

Established Member
BAH will not be authorized. It is one of the issues the bleeding heart liberals didn't think about before they started this campaign. It's not a matter of state laws or rights. It's a matter of federal law.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Hmm, well unless federal law states that gay marriage is recognized nationwide then probably not. As of right now and as it SHOULD be its a states rights thing.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Hmm, well unless federal law states that gay marriage is recognized nationwide then probably not. As of right now and as it SHOULD be its a states rights thing.

+1.... until gay marriage is recognized nation wide the military won't allow homosexuals to get BAH as a married couple IF and when DADT is repealed.

Several questions that came up in our SNCO round table was how is the barracks situation going to play out. Right now (officially speaking) you aren't allowed to have sex in the barracks, and you can't (again officially speaking) live with your significant other in the barracks. But how do you regulate and enforce that? With different gender couples it's obvious- they can't even stay the nite in each others rooms. But how does that work with homosexuals unless they are very obvious about it?

AND what happens when you put a straight person and a homosexual in the same room? Do either have legit grounds to complain about the living situation? What happens if the barracks are full and you can't move them? I know this is the military and we all have to do things we don't always like but is asking someone to live in that situation pushing the issue too far?

While the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy is still in place, I think the writing is on the wall- it's only a matter of time before it's repealed.

Conducting "social experiments" in the military is a HUGE mistake IMHO.

Last edited:

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
+1.... until gay marriage is recognized nation wide the military won't allow homosexuals to get BAH as a married couple IF and when DADT is repealed.

Several questions that came up in our SNCO round table was how is the barracks situation going to play out. Right now (officially speaking) you aren't allowed to have sex in the barracks, and you can't (again officially speaking) live with your significant other in the barracks. But how do you regulate and enforce that? With different gender couples it's obvious- they can't even stay the nite in each others rooms. But how does that work with homosexuals unless they are very obvious about it?

AND what happens when you put a straight person and a homosexual in the same room? Do either have legit grounds to complain about the living situation? What happens if the barracks are full and you can't move them? I know this is the military and we all have to do things we don't always like but is asking someone to live in that situation pushing the issue too far?

While the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy is still in place, I think the writing is on the wall- it's only a matter of time before it's repealed.

They have done them before. Remember de-segregation began in the military when Truman ordered it in 1948.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

I've brought this up before. Eventually this will become a reality for those of us serving in the military. Its going to be a severe headache for the first few years. I think for the first 3-8 years honestly. Should this become reality I think that we need to eliminate ALL segregation of the sexes. Men and women will sleep, shower and shit all in the same place. Its the only way to ensure equallity across the board.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Let me be the first to say that gay’s should be able to do anything an heterosexual couples should be allowed to do without exception. This is flat out wrong to discriminate against anyone for their sexual orientation. It’s just a matter of time like all past legalized discrimination that this one comes to an end. First let me say that I don’t agree in this life style but as long as it’s two consenting adults it’s none of my business what they do. Everyone has to realize that this is just blatant discrimination because separate but equal (Civil Unions) is not equal. I do agree that this will cause issues but other military’s have already done it with great success.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Let me be the first to say that gay’s should be able to do anything an heterosexual couples should be allowed to do without exception. This is flat out wrong to discriminate against anyone for their sexual orientation. It’s just a matter of time like all past legalized discrimination that this one comes to an end. First let me say that I don’t agree in this life style but as long as it’s two consenting adults it’s none of my business what they do. Everyone has to realize that this is just blatant discrimination because separate but equal (Civil Unions) is not equal. I do agree that this will cause issues but other military’s have already done it with great success.

Are you in the military?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

What branch of the military are you in? Are you aware that there are restrictions on heterosexual couples as well. Look up Co-habitation. In the military you can't just go screw whoever you want. This isn't the damn 60's!! There are also rules against PDA. YES- hetero's are restricted from hanging all over each other in or out of uniform. Shocking I know!!

Discrimination? WTF are you talking about. For one let me say this. I know for a fact I've had gay people work for me. Their lifestyle was their choice. But they NEVER brought their "issues" to work and neither do I. What my wife and I do is NO ONE's business unless or until it impacts work. And since you obviously have no fricken clue as to what you are talking about what the military does doesn't have a civilian parrallel- ie: WE need to be focused on tasks at hand. NOT social engineering. I don't have time to be dealing with who is screwing who when we are in combat. Combat is tough enough as is- now YOU and your ilk want to FORCE the military to bow to your ideology? W/E. When you pick up a rifle and put some rounds down range IN UNIFORM I'll listen to your opinion. Until then STFU:bash:

The way it is now is fine. People are basically free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't impact work. Once your lifestyle impacts work you become a liability whether you are gay, bi, straight, alcoholic, druggy, swinger, adulterer etc.... when it starts negatively impacting your mission- action MUST be taken.

Bottom line is we who join the military go in with eyes open. The rules are explained and re-explained through out your time in service. In case YOU didn't know there is NO draft. So the people who join do so by CHOICE. No one forced them- they accepted the rules. If you don't like the rules either don't join or get the eff out!!:fm:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
What branch of the military are you in? Are you aware that there are restrictions on heterosexual couples as well. Look up Co-habitation. In the military you can't just go screw whoever you want. This isn't the damn 60's!! There are also rules against PDA. YES- hetero's are restricted from hanging all over each other in or out of uniform. Shocking I know!!

Discrimination? WTF are you talking about. For one let me say this. I know for a fact I've had gay people work for me. Their lifestyle was their choice. But they NEVER brought their "issues" to work and neither do I. What my wife and I do is NO ONE's business unless or until it impacts work. And since you obviously have no fricken clue as to what you are talking about what the military does doesn't have a civilian parrallel- ie: WE need to be focused on tasks at hand. NOT social engineering. I don't have time to be dealing with who is screwing who when we are in combat. Combat is tough enough as is- now YOU and your ilk want to FORCE the military to bow to your ideology? W/E. When you pick up a rifle and put some rounds down range IN UNIFORM I'll listen to your opinion. Until then STFU:bash:

The way it is now is fine. People are basically free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't impact work. Once your lifestyle impacts work you become a liability whether you are gay, bi, straight, alcoholic, druggy, swinger, adulterer etc.... when it starts negatively impacting your mission- action MUST be taken.

Bottom line is we who join the military go in with eyes open. The rules are explained and re-explained through out your time in service. In case YOU didn't know there is NO draft. So the people who join do so by CHOICE. No one forced them- they accepted the rules. If you don't like the rules either don't join or get the eff out!!:fm:

Awesome post. Its sad cause the system works good, its just a few bad apples who allow their personal lives to interfere with their service that are messing it up for everyone.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mach1USMC, you said it perfectly.

It should not matter what someone does in their personal life. I should never know about their sexual preference.

Some still have it in their heads that *IF* dadt is repealed that all of a sudden there will be all of these flamboyent over the top homo's running around hitting on everyone.

Just like now I cant harass a female, they too, will have to abide by the same policy.

I dont know how they will work out the BAH or even barracks issues. We definitely dont have room in any of the barrack's i've lived in to spread them out even more. NCO's still get roommates, unlike most of the other branches(from what i've heard). Tell me i'll get roomed with a lesbian if i'm a homo, then bet your paycheck you would have plenty of males claiming homo. Or even if you can get BAH for marrying a same-sex, you would still have plenty of people marrying that arent actually homo just for the purpose of getting BAH, and at that point you're just living with a roommate. Hell people do that now, alot more than some realize(hetero's ofc).

Right now the policy does not prevent someone from being a homo. It just means keep it to yourself.

I think the simplest solution is to fully integrate into a co-ed military(starship troopers?). Sure it would be an administrative nightmare, but thats the price for "equal-rights". (just realized 97desertCobra already said this.) But then how would you work in civilians? I work in a place where we have a large number of Marines and Civilians working closely together. Would you leave the locker rooms seperate still? Or perhaps have a third, Marine only, locker room, then the civi male/female ones? What about the base Gym?

clbailey

Established Member
Our base gym locker room in the desert was co-ed, there were some nice french ladies walking around with more armpit hair than any man I know!

Users who are viewing this thread