Done the 1st oil change

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Everything when as smooth as possible. 1st we had to change the wife's oil in her Nissan and then on to the 5.0. I will say 1st off the oil plug is in a great spot, 2nd the oil filter not so much. But my father-n-law being the guy he is said hold on a second!! He walked away (I knew what he was about to do) and then came back with a piece of metal that they had cut at his shop, we bent it into a tube ran it up and under the oil filter all the way to the top and then I VERY careful ran my arm up in there and loosened the oil filter, and not 1 drop got on the plastic cover or anywhere else. Used Mobil1 and a WIX filter, put her all back together and she's still purring. Here is a few pics from the lift (I love being able to use the lift anytime I want), thanks to his shop.

269c3c91.jpg

82e7e00e.jpg

52c96807.jpg

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Cool story, bro.

(Why do people have to make the same damn thread on 20 different forums?)

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Im so jealous of that lift:bowdown:

I just did mine 2 weeks ago for the first time. I dropped the plastic panel (3 bolts) and got to the filter that way. Pretty easy and not a drop spilled. I changed mine at 2,998.4 miles. My oil was on 27%.

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Yeah We dropped that plastic panel and seen that it could cause oil to get on it along with other places so we made that little pipe up and used it.

kingnut

Established Member
did you bottom out to dent in one of your resonators or did it come like that from the factory?

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Another filter removal tip:

A ziplock bag (1 Gallon) works perfect for removing the filter. Just slip it over and unscrew it. All the oil ends up running in the bag instead of on your hand and down your arm. It would be a lot simpler than this tube you are referring, and you won't spill a drop :)

Mika

Established Member
did you bottom out to dent in one of your resonators or did it come like that from the factory?

+1. I had the same question when I changed my oil. Turns out that's how they are designed. The indention is a perfect rectangle.

S8MS-01904

SVT Cobra Driver
Established Member
Another filter removal tip:

A ziplock bag (1 Gallon) works perfect for removing the filter. Just slip it over and unscrew it. All the oil ends up running in the bag instead of on your hand and down your arm. It would be a lot simpler than this tube you are referring, and you won't spill a drop :)

Well, I tried this method and had a major fail. Baggie got slippery and was quite messy when changing the oil on '10 Explorer.

Went with the aluminum foil method on the 'KR with great results.

Each method has its pluses and minuses, so use what works.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Im so jealous of that lift:bowdown:

I just did mine 2 weeks ago for the first time. I dropped the plastic panel (3 bolts) and got to the filter that way. Pretty easy and not a drop spilled. I changed mine at 2,998.4 miles. My oil was on 27%.

I read that ford adds a friction modifer called T-7 I to the oil in the new 5.o from the factory. It is used to help with the break in period and will not work to its full potential if the oil is changed to early. Many new 5.0 owners are complaining of a tick that develops when the first oil change is done between 2000-3000 miles. I would reccomend going 6-7 thousand on the first change to let the T-7 do its job. Ford claims ten thousand mile oil change intervals but im not comfortable going that far.

Users who are viewing this thread