Dome Light Stays On Tried WD40 trick

ASUREX

Established Member
I've tried the WD40 trick on both door latches and the light still stays on. The headlight lever isn't all the way to the left, so I am pretty sure I can rule that out. I've looked over a crappy haynes wiring diagram and it's not all that helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

This is for a 1996 Cobra Convertible.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
The push buttons are located in hedge area between the door and fender. They are a little round nub that pushes in and come out when the door is opened. My guess would be those. I had to replace one on our 95 F150

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The push buttons are located in hedge area between the door and fender. They are a little round nub that pushes in and come out when the door is opened. My guess would be those. I had to replace one on our 95 F150

Exactly. That would be the first thing I'd check. It's right near the hinges in the front part of the door. They can actually be adjusted if you push hard enough to ge the light to come on quicker when you open the door, or not come on until you have the door open a good amount. I believe it unscrewed from the body? If it does then I'd unplug it and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then get a new one.. can't be too expensive.

ASUREX

Established Member
Lol, if it isn't a cheap fix. I'm just gonna go bulb less. I'd rather spend the money on go fast / suspension components.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Sometimes the door switch will self-destruct in the closed position without exhibiting any mechanical problems. Just remove it and see if the light goes out.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
i had to pull the bulb out

I don't know about the '96 model, but the '97 convertible has two bulbs in the inside rearview mirror (no dome light in the convertible top) that come on with a twist of the headlight switch or doors opening.
The mirror itself has two switches in its bottom front face that operate the mirror lights independently as "reading" lights.
Is it possible that one or both of these switches have inadvertantly been placed in the "on" position?

ASUREX

Established Member
No I checked those, they aren't in the on position.

I don't know about the '96 model, but the '97 convertible has two bulbs in the inside rearview mirror (no dome light in the convertible top) that come on with a twist of the headlight switch or doors opening.
The mirror itself has two switches in its bottom front face that operate the mirror lights independently as "reading" lights.
Is it possible that one or both of these switches have inadvertantly been placed in the "on" position?

mod46stang

Established Member
its your head light switch it happen to me and a freind just change it and be done for two years i had the bulb taken out and three for my freind he had head light problems and changed the switch and fix both of his problems than i did it

Users who are viewing this thread