Slowings

Established Member
Since I got my car, the dome light has never worked. I figured it was the bulbs being blown so I got new LED ones that I installed today.. Still doesn't work. When I checked the fuse it was blown, so I popped a new one in and that one blew the second I put it in..

What is my next step? The bulbs are clearly not the reason that this fuse is blowing, I was thinking of pulling the headliner off, but what is the next step after that? I don't know exactly what to look for, or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

01yellercobra

Established Member
You should be able to pull the light without removing the head liner. I'd start with that. Look at the wires going to the light. It sounds like you have a short somewhere. Hopefully it's close to the light.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Slowings

Established Member
Yeah I got the light off and can't tell whats going on. There are 3 wires that each have a crimp connector, they all seem solid when I tug on them. How do I determine if one of them has a short? And would only 1 wire having a short blow the fuse/ not allow the other 2 lights to turn on?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you have a DMM you can check for for a short between the wires and the body. Generally it takes a direct short to blow a fuse that fast. The only way to find it is too follow the wires and see where the insulation is missing and touching the body.

Slowings

Established Member
So that would mean I most likely will have to remove the A pillars and headliner to get a good look what whats going on?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Probably. Does it blow the fuse when the dome light is pulled away from the head liner?

Slowings

Established Member
yeah, when I plugged the new fuse in, I had the dome light completely disconnected. I pulled the plug right out of the light, set it on the seat, slid the new fuse in and it popped and blew immediately.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, you're going to have to start pulling panels. I'd start at the A pillar. Maybe you'll get lucky and find it before you have to pull the head liner.

Users who are viewing this thread