Doing UPR K-member and Coilovers, perch is .05 bigger than the strut

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
hey, I just bought a UPR K-member and coilover kit and am having some issues. I've been looking through posts but cant find my exact problem.

First, the UPR coilover perch tube is .05 bigger than my KYB struts so it wobbles a bit. I will probably wrap a piece of 24g sheet metal around the strut underneath the perch so it fits snug, but I'm wondering if these struts are smaller diameter than stock. If somebody has the factory Bilsteins on their Cobra and a micrometer, could you possibly measure the strut diameter for me plesae?

Second, there is no pinch clamp or anything to set the coil perch on. It will just sit on the ledge of the clamp that bolts the strut to the spindle. I'm concerned the perch needs more support than this. I see pictures on the web of coilover setups with pinch clamps on the strut to hold the spring perch. Anybody got experience with these coilovers on KYBs by chance? I'm wondering if I need to buy Bilstiens now. thanks!

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
I just got the new spring perches from UPR and they are 2.00 inches ID so dont fit my KYB struts either. Could somebody please measure diameter of their Bilsteins for me? thanks!!

D-MANN

Established Member
I just got the new spring perches from UPR and they are 2.00 inches ID so dont fit my KYB struts either. Could somebody please measure diameter of their Bilsteins for me? thanks!!

You could just run few beads of silicone along the length of your strut. Slide you sleeve over it and let that set up. That should eliminate any rattling noise.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Can you post some pics? I was thinking of buying a UPR K-member. Did you get the chrome moly?

I was thinking about the chrome moly with tow hooks and the oil pan savers. Not sure if those savers will hang to low considering the front end is at least an inch lower than stock now and I like it at that height.

Thanks

Last edited:

krazyazian

Established Member
I just used that blue painters tape (not sure what it's called) and wrapped the top and bottom of my struts. One strut required 2 complete wraps while the other needed 4 till it was snug. No rattles now.

Last edited:

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
I used duct tape around the strut to make the perches snug. here's a picture of it. I got the chrome moly unit. The oil filter is a bitch to get out so next time i change the oil i will add a relo kit. I got the 175# springs and it feels a little bouncy. Might try new struts but I'm concerned that might require new spring perches. It certainly will if they're Bilsteins.

Its amazing how 1 project begats 2 or 3. Hope this helps somebody.
IMAG0307.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread