Doing the Right Thing w/bums n such?

Sap

Established Member
So lately I've been seeing more homeless or drifters sitting around the neighbor hood asking for x or y, usually cash or "whatever helps". I tend to ignore them as I don't believe in hand outs.

However I do donate to breast/prostate cancer and don't mind giving to whatever charity my local grocery store is supporting.

All that said, yesterday I saw a couple sitting outside the local Sporting goods store with a sign that said "Need Sleeping Bags". I felt bad for not helping them and am wondering this:

If a stranger (homeless?) asks you for something via a sign like this, sitting out in the cold and you are able to help them without it having a significant monetary impact on your life, should you? Does this just promote this behavior and encourage people to be lazy or does it show good will toward all men(women) ?

ViciousJay

Established Member
i feel you, im not a jesus freak by any means but i wonder sometimes if its a test... i dont believe in hand outs either but the other day on the off ramp there was a lady that had a sign that said she had 6 kids and blah blah blah and out of 100 cars i pulled up and gave her a couple of bucks.... now i ask myself, just what if its a test from god or something... i firmly believe what you put out comes back to you

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I too have a soft spot but unfortunately there's a large majority of those types of "homeless" individuals who are merely con artists and give a reason why most people do not want to help the true homeless and less fortunate people.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
More often than not your cash is going to booze/drugs.
But if you feel good about it......[ after all, there are exceptions]

xtremeskime21

Established Member
It's hard...I just base it off my judge of character....which could be way off base, but it's all I have. Helping does feel good...especially if it's someone you KNOW needs it.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If we're nearby someplace with food I'll offer to buy em something to eat...so far I think a whole one person has taken me up on it

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I get a kick out of the guys pedaling like bottles of water for a $1 while youre waiting in traffic yet they must have spent like $1.50 per bottle of water to begin with lol

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I refuse to give anything to bums. Maybe I watch to much Intervention, or just my lack of faith in humanity. Especially irritates me when they are younger and able body. There is no reason for you to be asking for handouts if you can work.

Saw a younger (mid 20's) couple sitting on a corner the other day. Had a sign that said they had two kids and about to lose everything. First though was maybe they should quit breeding. Secondly, one, if not both should go find work, and quit interrupting traffic in the turn lane.

I have no problem helping people down on their luck, who are doing what they can to keep their heads above water. Have given money to people in line at a store who fell a few bucks short,etc.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Its hard seeing people out on the streets but honestly there are Churches and homeless shelters that would gladly help them out anytime. Thankfully many of these people use these resources but some still refuse to "give in" if you will.

SpectorV

Established Member
I dont mind helping the issue is... what are they going to use the money for? Are they really just having a bad time getting by and trying... or are they being lazy/dont care etc... you just dont know.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
There's a group of them who gather at work, at the back of the parking lot. There is a motor home and 3 cars that belong to them.

A few weeks ago, I saw one holding a sign asking for cash, but he was texting on a shiny black Droid not so inconspicuously behind his sign.

4a7191a

Established Member
before they can open thier mouth beat them to the punch and ask for change, if they ask for gas money, complain about your ride getting crappy mpgs and that you need some help paying for that 93 octane. dont give them anything exept maybe a job application. ive done that before too.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
no, they would hurt themselves with the sleeping bag and then sue me. you give a bum a burger and he chokes on it, some scum sucking lawyer will want him to sue.

yellowbra

Established Member
I get a kick out of the guys pedaling like bottles of water for a $1 while youre waiting in traffic yet they must have spent like $1.50 per bottle of water to begin with lol

yea we have those kids around here too. But I bet they are getting a good deal on that water or they wouldn't be selling it. I can go to Sam's club and get a case of aquafinia for like $4. Thats under a quarter for each bottle of water.

Tunink

Established Member
I guess I'm the naive one out of the bunch in that I give all I can to help those in need.

If I sense that the man/woman will use the money for the wrong reasons I will offer to buy them food/groceries instead of giving straight cash.

I have given my last dollar in my wallet before, and it has always come back to me in some way or another.

SHAKER3

Established Member
Not all of those people are as needy as you think. Supposedly homeless but they have a cell phone that they recharge by stealing electricity from a business or a resident in the area. One guy I saw had a DROID but he's homeless. Many drive their car and park across from a local mission but where does the money come from for the gas and auto insurance and current registration, oh thats right they don't have insurance or a current driver's license. Our tax dollars at work a sense of entitlement.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
in all fairness in a lot of areas the shelters are over run these days and theres not always room for people. Right now there are a lot of people that are living in their car or on the streets that arent addicts... lets face it, most people dont put enough in savings and when shit hits the fan they're out on the streets. Those are the ones that I feel bad for and would do more to help but sometimes its hard to tell whos who

trickflow coupe

Established Member
Not all of those people are as needy as you think. Supposedly homeless but they have a cell phone that they recharge by stealing electricity from a business or a resident in the area. One guy I saw had a DROID but he's homeless. Many drive their car and park across from a local mission but where does the money come from for the gas and auto insurance and current registration, oh thats right they don't have insurance or a current driver's license. Our tax dollars at work a sense of entitlement.

i was driving to the mall one day and i saw a bum with a new ipod just rocking out on the side of the road thats what made me swear off giving money to bums

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OP if i were in a situation like that where someone was asking for specific items and i had said items i wasnt using or was planning on replacing, id give them away to them.

Its the guys that ask for just money that are usually cons or use it to buy booze. I had a buddy who got questioned by a guy heading into some fast food joint, he had no change but instead bought an extra burrito and gave it to the guy on his way out. The dude threw it in his face and said something like "cash only mother****er". To this day he says he has no idea how he didnt end up severely beating the guys ass.

you guys must have some expensive water.

Usually you can get the 24pk of aquafina for like $3.

The guys at Vegas were making a raping on the shit. Go to a supermarket off the strip and buy in bulk for cheap, sell them at $3-4ea on the strip to parched vacationers. Easy $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread