Doing Solid Axle Swap - Springs Question Puhhlease

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Ok, here is what we are doing.

We are swapping out the IRS to a solid axle 8.8 (girdled), its all ready to go with the exception of the springs, and control arms.

My question pretains to springs. I have been offered a set of 1997 cobra springs (stock) with less than 2,000 miles on them. What I want to know is, I do NOT want the car sitting any higher or lower than it presently does. I want the rear end to be at the same height as it sits right now brand new. 2004 Cobra if anyone wants to know.

Will the 1997 springs work without altering the height?

mp3stang

Established Member
The 03/04 Cobras are lower from the factory than the other years of Mustangs. I would bet that the 97 springs will be higher. I would probably go with some Steeda sport springs.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
The 97 Cobra springs will sit higher.

Your best bet would probably be buy some Bullitt or Mach1 Springs.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
itll be higher. i put stock gt springs in mine and HOLY 4X4!! we are lowered an inch i believe form factory. u can cut 1 coil..u ownt losse and ride quality and itll drop like 1.5" i have heard. i might do it to my gt springs cuz im not sure what springs i want yet...:shrug:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by BADASS03SVT
itll be higher. i put stock gt springs in mine and HOLY 4X4!! we are lowered an inch i believe form factory. u can cut 1 coil..u ownt losse and ride quality and itll drop like 1.5" i have heard. i might do it to my gt springs cuz im not sure what springs i want yet...:shrug:

Thanks for that info. That settles it, I was gonna go with Bullitt rear springs but I will just get some aftermarket ones now. I just want the car to sit level after solid is in. Probably Eibach is what I am thinking.

Also surprised at the very low spring rate in the rears on GT's, 200 lb/in:eek:

My IRS rear spring rate is supposed to be 470 lb/in and your coupe guys are at 600 lb/in current. Guess the different geometry makes for such a massive difference.
This is gonna make for a very different ride!

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
So dont use 1997 Cobra springs. What about the new Mach1 springs?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by Rev
So dont use 1997 Cobra springs. What about the new Mach1 springs?

They are the same drop as BULLITT springs, 3/4"
They will be too high compared to currrent IRS height. Aftermarket GT lowering springs should be just right.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
whats a good gt spring? i need to drop mine bad! and if their cheap enough ill just get em. im stickin with the 17s i think and want a NICE EVEN drop on the car.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
whats a good gt spring? i need to drop mine bad! and if their cheap enough ill just get em. im stickin with the 17s i think and want a NICE EVEN drop on the car.

I am probably go with EIBACH GT Lowering springs
http://www.speedconcepts.net/Eibach.htm

PRO-KIT #3510.140
SPORTLINE # 4.1035

Notice how the Sportlines are all the same number?????

Shopping for a place that will sell just the rears, (HELP!!!) front scrapes going up my driveway as is.

Not certain on this, would appreciate any input.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
Shopping for a place that will sell just the rears, (HELP!!!) front scrapes going up my driveway as is.

Not certain on this, would appreciate any input.

exactly..i need gt rears and cobra fronts....

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
exactly..i need gt rears and cobra fronts....

Hey could you put up a pic of your car with the GT rears on it. Might help us pic a lowering height from the available aftermarket selections.

ModsAway

Established Member
I almost thought I was reading about Honda Civics when I read someone suggest cutting a spring. :bash:

With a car like this please do it properly or don't it at all, I don't want to see anymore pictures of a beautiful Cobra smashed into a million not so beautiful pieces. :nonono:

jimh

Established Member
Rev, becareful with the solid axle swap. If it's a stock carrier from a solid mustang then I think you'll only have 28 spline axels. I know you're modding your car. If you get some good bite you're going to break them. The carrier in your IRS is 31 spline. You could just use your carrier and get 31 spline axles. This way you'll just need the axles and not a whole new carrier. If you are selling (or trading) the IRS, the 99-01 IRS cpbras had 28 spline axles so who ever gets your IRS could get half shafts for the earlier IRS.

Just something to think about if you haven't already.

Good luck, I'm jealous!
jim

Last edited:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Thanks jimh, Amazon Racing built our solid, and its 31spline with the extra goodies.

Rwick7

Established Member
I almost thought I was reading about Honda Civics when I read someone suggest cutting a spring.

I have Fox Body V8 springs in the back of mine with 1 1/2 coils cut and it rides and sits perfect.

Anyone wanna ride in my 600 hp civic?

Users who are viewing this thread