Doing a catback on a 99

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Hey im gonna help a friend do a catback on his 99 cobra. Ive done a few and ive done all the mods in my sig so im not bad with cars. My question was ive never done a car with IRS so i usualyl put my jack stands on the axle. Where should i put them on an IRS car? Should i just put it on the frame? I have a big jack that i usually just put under my pumpkin cause it gets good height can i jack it under the irs pumpkin or should i just do each side at the jack point? Thanks guys.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
do not jack on the pumpkin.

ramps are the easiest but the body will work.

the catback goes under the axle on an irs car so its literally the easiest thing to do.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
Use the same ramps you use every time you change your oil... :-D

...see they are useful for something else... :coolman:

...good/safe/cheap investment...go get some ramps

...good luck... :beer:

killrSVT

Established Member
Wish I could say mine was easy. Having trouble with fitment on the passenger's side.. can't get the tip to line up properly and mount in the hanger.. It might be because I bought an 03-04 Bassani.. I've been told it will bolt right up to my '01.. :shrug: Never had a problem with an exhaust like this before.

HIErPwRd

Established Member
killrSVT said:
Wish I could say mine was easy. Having trouble with fitment on the passenger's side.. can't get the tip to line up properly and mount in the hanger.. It might be because I bought an 03-04 Bassani.. I've been told it will bolt right up to my '01.. :shrug: Never had a problem with an exhaust like this before.

dang man im sorry to hear that...
trying to recall if you got the setup that had slight damage to it
(there was a thread about it a week ago or so)

how far out are you trying to set the tips?

i had planned on having them extend further out, but decided good was good enough, dont stick out more than an inch or so past the cutout on the oem 99 bumper...

are you not able to get it into the hanger at all??
assume you mean the hanger furthest back on the car?

wish i could help bro, maybe someone else can chime in-
if you dont get it right, post pics....

Sanchez

Don't Panic
Established Member
killrSVT said:

When I put a mac catback on my 99, it required two people and some wrestling. As I recall, we put the rear pieces into the hangers, and my friend had to shove forward on them to close the gap while I mated them up.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
killrSVT said:

I've got an 03/04 set of stingers, It took some wrestling but they fit and after a few test fits I got em where I like em,(hell I even took the bumper cover off) a nice big hammer is your friend when dealing with the hangers

killrSVT

Established Member
Everything lines up until I mount the H to the muffler flow tubes.. This app came with S shaped flow tubes that meet the muffler and H.. every pic I've seen has it with a straight flow tube.. I think this might be the problem. Unfortunately I won't be able to get under there until sunday..

killrSVT

Established Member
HIErPwRD, does your application have a straight tube? do you have any pics? I will post some up so you all can see what is pissin me off.. :fm:

HIErPwRd

Established Member
Last edited:

killrSVT

Established Member
The potential cause of my problem.. bad pic, but just took it, being dark outside and all.. this is the flow tube that meets the muffler and H- pipe.

im0002205bg.jpg

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses. I dont have any ramps so i guess i will jack it up on the jack points and then put the standson the frame.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
killrSVT said:
The potential cause of my problem.. bad pic, but just took it, being dark outside and all.. this is the flow tube that meets the muffler and H- pipe.

Now I'm no expert- but I think you just need to rotate that sum-na-biotch
unless everything is tack welded you should be able to rotate the pipe(the flanges should spin right?) then crank the bolts back down, but yea i'd rotate the pipe so the bends go side to side as opposed to up and down ...

killrSVT

Established Member
Yea, I think you guys are right.. think it needs to be rotated 90 degrees.. Nothing is welded all fastened on.. It started to rain on sunday when I was putting it on. It rained all afternoon, and haven't been under there since.. won't be able to get under there until sunday... :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread